1991 Odyssey NewBie - Hi All - Will Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilto01

Bought a 1991 Odyssey for a song.  Truck runs fine, although generator doesn't work, water tank leaks, propane tank is non-OPD compliant and empty.

Generator:  Onan Microlite.  Pretty sure the carborateur is gummed up, because it cranks with a battery load but won't turn over.
Water Tank Leak:  Hoping I'm just dealing with a broken seal on the winter spout and not a line break.  It leaks from the tank itself, not the cabin.
Propane Tank:  Not up to code.

Will be asking ya'll for advice as I get these things fixed up without losing my shirt.  Will probably take some pics and post them online for ya'll to look at and tell me what you think.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Generator:  Onan Microlite.  Pretty sure the carborateur is gummed up, because it cranks with a battery load but won't turn over.
Water Tank Leak:  Hoping I'm just dealing with a broken seal on the winter spout and not a line break.  It leaks from the tank itself, not the cabin.
Propane Tank:  Not up to code.
Need more info. Many generators won't fire up if the main gas tank is less than 1/4 full. This is so dummies like me won't run the generator until you don't have enough gas to make it to the filling station. ;D  Make sure you have enough and it's not really old. Old gas burns about as well as wet grass on a rainy day.

If the tank is one of the old steel ones that you have to pressurize with a pump, about the only thing you can do is replace it. Welding a leak may fix the problem temporarily, but i twill probably show up as another leak somewhere else. Better to replace it with a new plastic tank and 12 volt, on demand, water pump. It pumps up the system to about 45 psi, then cycles automatically when the pressure drops.

Propane tank: Replace it. If it doesn't have an OPD (Over Pressure Device) no one will refill it for you. Federal law. You could convert to portable tanks, but would be happier in the long run with a 30 gallon (or something like that) permanent tank. Some of us have what is called an Extend-A-Stay adapter which allows you to hook up a portable tank to your permanent installation when you don't want to pull up stakes to refill, but that's an option for later consideration. 

Top Bottom