1992 Georgie Boy 34.5 Swinger on Chevy P30 or P35 chassis - no power anywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugsie77

Hi

I have a 1992 GB I think it is a P30 but I saw something once that said it was a P35 chassis. 454 / 7.5L chevy v-8

I have NO power anywhere. Headlights, emergency, dash - nothing comes on.

I replaced all three solenoids under the hood. Still nothing. (The starter one was new but the other two were original, so not upset about changing them anyway.)

I am guess some form of master fuse/breaker.

ANY thoughts, ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

John

p.s. Batteries are fully charged and I have checked the chassis battery cables to be clean and tight.

It sounds like you probably have 2 battery isolator switches that are both open. Georgie Boy used to put the isolators in the stairwell of the entry door in most of those that I have seen. The one that was in our Cruise Master looked like this picture.
images

If both are in the store position you would have no 12V power to anything. There are other brands but they should have a somewhat similar appearance.

Ok, the only switches I have inside the stairwell are two shown. One - on the right - controls the light on the outside by the door. The other, I assume has to do with the outside stairs which do not work.

Note. - the 12 vds INSIDE the coach work, it is no 12vdc to the chassis that is MIA

I have one 'disconnect switch' on the right side of the dash. This, from playing with it before - is for inside the coach 12vdc.

And yes, I flipped them all.

Knowing it would not help, I even flipped the main AC breaker on and off. I am desperate, willing to try almost anything.

Anyone else have an idea??

Thanks so far.

There is usually a 80'ish amp or higher fusable link in the main positive lead coming off of the starter main post where the battery cable connects.
This provides all upstream power to the engine and chassis as well as alternator charge back the other way to the battery.

This is typical old school GM stuff.

Ok, the only switches I have inside the stairwell are two shown. One - on the right - controls the light on the outside by the door. The other, I assume has to do with the outside stairs which do not work.
I don't know where your switches are shown, but the picture I posted is of an Intelitec dual battery isolator such as was in our Cruise Master from Georgie Boy. The location of that was about 12" above the step, which where the coach batteries were on our CM. We also had two rocker switches at typical light switch height as you entered the door. One was the porch light and the other was for the power step, as you suspect. The switch for the step and the step it's self are powered from the chassis battery, which is probably the reason that it isn't working. That is done to make sure that the step will retract if the vehicle is driven. I had not realized that your coach 12V was working. I am thinking that dktool may be right or at least pointing in the proper direction. Do you have a volt/ohm meter that you could take some reading with? If so it would be fairly easy to determine if the link he references is open. I would also check the negative battery cable where it ties to the chassis for return as it could be the problem. If you have a meter, just lift the negative from the battery and measure ohms between the battery end and some good connection to the engine or chassis. It should be near to 0Ω. If that is good, start measuring voltage between ground and various connection points as you move away from the battery, tracing the positive cable. It is most likely somewhere along that cable route since it has turned off all 12V power to everything. A fully charged battery should read about 12.5V and as you move farther away that should stay close to the battery's reading.

Once you confirm a good negative connection to the engine then probe the positive lead of your meter to the large cable connection on the alternator, this will confirm if the fusable link is open.

I will update this when I have a resolution. I am unable to fully complete some of the recommended tests (I greatly appreciate the suggestions). I have a mechanic friend of a friend who is coming this weekend or so.

Thanks everyone so far.

I just had this happen on mine. I am thinking there is a big assed fusible link as dktool said.

When leaving my last long term park up the right rear leg was sunk in the dirt and I exercised the jack quite a bit. At first I thought I only blew the turn signals/dash but it turns out the whole chassis system is dead.

I should be taking a look at it in the next coupe of days.

Back
Top Bottom