1994 Allegro Bay Pusher, need help find steering fluid canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outbound

Hello, I am told that the steering fluid canister should be in the engine compartment in the back but I Have looked high and low for it and can't find anything close. Someone on another forum said the reservoir on the right side of the radiator that the ATF goes to is where it goes and that you don't add power steering fluid but rather AFT is that true? Then again an RV shop told me it's the canister which makes more sense to me, but I can't find it and I have to move soon and I don't know where to add the ATF or is it steering fluid? I searched this forum, online everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. I attached a picture of my engine compartment if that helps.
I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 66
  • radiator.jpg
    radiator.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 62
I wouldn't think that the power steering resevoir would be in the rear of the MH. Can you look under the front end and see where the hoses exit the power steering box? This should give you a clue where you put the power steering fluid. I've been using ATF Trans fluid in the power steering for years without problems.  Eddie Elk.

On most diesel pushers the power steering uses hydraulic fluid (often ATF). If it is a side radiator model the same system runs the radiator fan. Having lost all hydraulic fluid twice on a 94 Spartan chassis HR, I know the consequences of loosing all fluid - one time it was one mile south of Chicken Alaska!

Note, this system is NOT tied into the Transmission.

ken

Call Tiffin Motorhomes and ask for the service department.  (Sorry I don't have their number handy.)  Be sure and have your VIN number also available.  They will tell you where the canister is, if you have one, and what to add. 

Marsha~

I wouldn't think that the power steering resevoir would be in the rear of the MH.

The pump is normally engine-driven, so will be located wherever the engine is, with hydraulic lines to the actual steering power assist unit located on the steering mechanism itself.  ATF is hydraulic fluid and is used in many power steering and other types of hydraulic systems (e.g. jacks, slides, etc.), but some system specify a different type (viscosity) of hydraulic fluid, such as AW32 or AW 46.  Since you have a rear radiator, it may well be that the power steering pump is separate from other hydraulics and might in fact use ATF, but you need to find out just what your system requires. A call to Tiffin is probably the best  bet if there is nothing shown on the reservoir itself.

Hi This is not a reply rather a similar question, I have 93 Allegro Bay , I am wondering to find out which one is the Steering fluid to refill or check first. I somehow found out Break fluid & Oil & Transmission too, But there is one under the driver seat can be accessed from the front of the vehicle, It is Stainless Steel white kind of long pot, does not say it is steering fluid box, it does have small indicator low & high level, I am not sure if it is the one & what kind of steering fluid should I use. For Break it says use GM Break fluid... I am desperately trying to learn more about it. Is there any manual on line for this I mean 93 Allegro Bay ?  Please help me ... thank you.

Again, call Tiffin Customer Service. They still do whatever they can for their old coaches.

Have you been able to identify what chassis is under the coach? I'm guessing it is a front gas engine chassis, and maybe a Chevy P30/P37 if it says to use GM brake fluid?

Pictures would help us understand the parts you are describing.

On our 1997 Allegro Bus its the plastic container shown on the right side of your radiator in your picture.  Mine takes ATF.

Once again it's the plastic container shown on the right in the OP s second picture

My 97 bus still has the sticker saying" hydraulic reservoir fluid only

Dexron III or equivalent

I'd send pics but I'm out in the bus at the beach so I only have my iPhone and low bandwidth

Just noticed that someone revived a 3 year old thread.    Op probably has his answer by now

swami r said:
Hi This is not a reply rather a similar question, I have 93 Allegro Bay , I am wondering to find out which one is the Steering fluid to refill or check first. I somehow found out Break fluid & Oil & Transmission too, But there is one under the driver seat can be accessed from the front of the vehicle, It is Stainless Steel white kind of long pot, does not say it is steering fluid box, it does have small indicator low & high level, I am not sure if it is the one & what kind of steering fluid should I use. For Break it says use GM Break fluid... I am desperately trying to learn more about it. Is there any manual on line for this I mean 93 Allegro Bay ?  Please help me ... thank you.

I thought so too till I saw this person ask a question and revived this thread, in the theme of,"The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing" , I just went with it. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that don't know or care about forum etiquette that just want help. Here, I try to be really nice and not mention it, but each to his own. I've been guilty more than few times of not reading a whole thread before I type. 

swami r said:

The one in the front of the vehicle is most likely the hydraulic levers fluid.
See "aboatguy's" response for the power steering fluid.

power steering reservoir on mid 1990s Allegro bus with freightliner chassis

Attachments

• IMG_3898 (2).JPG
    IMG_3898 (2).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 6
Ken & Sheila said:
The one in the front of the vehicle is most likely the hydraulic levers fluid.
See "aboatguy's" response for the power steering fluid.

Yes, in the front on the drivers side is the HWH jack reservoir.  (bus with freightliner chassis)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom