1994 BRAVE 60K 454 no spark no fuel please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treshein

Just changed the distributor module for the 2nd time, new coil, new fuel pump relay.

starter cranks all day and I watch the oil psi go up, and gauges pulse when cranking.

removed fuel filter on frame gas stream to front of vehicle.

no voltage at CRNK fuse. ran great until I installed a brake controller.

OBD I reads a 12 code = ECM operational, however ABS no read.

if I cant get this its one wire HEI distributor and new intake for a carbuator

Have you checked the push rod actuated ignition switch mounted at the base of the steering wheel for signs of failure / overheating?      It will likely be green plastic

First off, you'll only have voltage on the Crank fuse when the ignition switch is in the Crank position.  Takes 2 people to check it, unless you have a locking volt meter or double jointed arms.  You said the engine cranks over, so that fuse is fine.

I'd check whatever circuit you hooked the brake controller into and make sure you didn't blow some other fuse while you were installing it.

Check for 12v on the pink wire at the coil with the ignition switch in the "Run" position.  Also on the pink wire at the module connector on the distributor.

When cranking the engine, are you getting fuel spray out of the injectors?  If not, check the "INJ" fuse.  You can have fuel pressure, but if the injectors aren't firing, it doesn't run. You can remove the plug from one of the injectors and put a test light across the terminals.  Crank the motor and the light ought to flash on and off as it cranks.

You might also check the distributor rotor to see if it's burnt through.  Indication of this would be by removing the coil wire from the distributor, holding it close to an intake bolt or similar ground.  Crank motor.  If you have spark there, then reconnect the wire to the distributor.  Remove a plug wire and test for spark at the plug.  If you have no spark at the plug, but spark coming into the distributor, replace the rotor(might do the cap at the same time).

The Auto Zone web site has a repair info section that gives access to wiring diagrams so you can see whats going on.
It's not that complicated a system, compared to the newer multi-port injected engines. 

"gauges pulse" including the tach?

If the tach isn't moving, there's no RPM signal, and it won't start. Crankshaft position sensors are a problem in some 454s. Not sure if yours would be part of the problem era or not, but if the tach isn't moving, the crank sensor may be your problem.

the pick up coil (reluctor) was replaced to get spark.

Then with much frustration no fuel to start, primed tbi it started and ran, the ambiguous code 12 turned to flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON, so i installed the OEM distributor module, now all systems go!,.

the chilton service manual helped alot
do not park on dirt in wet climates
be aware of replacement parts (ignition module from amazon) :(
share info

ennored said:
All set? Still working on it?

yes, the pick up coil was toast, ? (moisture and freeze?) replaced to get spark, no fuel at start, (Prime) code 12 then SERVICE ENGINE SOON flashing, after checking a bunch of sensors, I replaced the ignition module to the original, it started right up, like normal

Thanks

Thanks for reporting back. I was a little snarky someplace else, sorry. So many time the OP never comes back, just an internet thing.

I to replaced the pick up coil in my 1994 just for shi_ and giggles. That can only be replaced by removing the distributor from engine. The ICM replacement does not require pulling the distributor. A classic bad pick up coil symptom? The engine shuts off suddenly while engine is running. Use Delco replacement parts nothing else. Here's a pick of my OEM pick up coil after 25 years and 58,301 miles....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v3r2hi4q0ckdef/20190515_220427%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

Back
Top Bottom