1996 39' American Dream M-39DAF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronhix

Close to pulling the trigger....

Sounds like a good coach at a good price.

What do you guys think?

1996 39' American Dream M-39DAF
$47,170
300HP Cummins
Allison 6 Speed
Diesel Gen
+ all the other normal amenities

NADA is $50,360 on the low and $60,670 on the avg

PPL historical sales show several 1998 models selling for over $90K+

I suspect the price difference vs the 1998 models is no slide vs one slide - there is a lot of market value in a slide-out.  $3000 below NADA low is a fair price, so if the coach meets your needs and appears to be in good working order, I say why not go for it?  American builds fine products.  I just bought one myself, so how could I say otherwise?

As for the good working order, check out all the appliances and systems and ask for maintenance records. Nothing says loving like a comprehensive maintenance log or a file of maintenance receipts.  And check tire age per the DOT stamp on each tire. A tire at or approaching 7 years old needs immediate replacement and represents a liability of $400-$500 each.

RV Roamer said:
I suspect the price difference vs the 1998 models is no slide vs one slide - there is a lot of market value in a slide-out. 

A tire at or approaching 7 years old needs immediate replacement and represents a liability of $400-$500 each.

Thanks Gary.  Didn't know that slide outs held considerable market value, I'll keep that in mind.

You know fellas, I learn more about RV's and this market everyday thanks in large part to you guys.  I do appreciate your willingness to share your wealth of knowledge and experience.  I feel I getting closer to being able to confidently evaluate a unit without too much guidance. 

Oh, and of course the wife decided that she hated the interior colors in this one.  LOL!  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  ;D

ronhix said:
Oh, and of course the wife decided that she hated the interior colors in this one.   

If you are going to get a great deal on a rig and interior color is only drawback, you might consider that you can change  colors on sofa, carpet and valances  for  a relatively small price and have exactly what you like in color, fabric and pattern.  It's harder to change floor plan, engines etc.  Just a thought from female perspective.
Betty

Didn't know that slide outs held considerable market value, I'll keep that in mind.

Slides are so popular with buyers that even single slide units are depressed in value - two is considered to be almost a minimum nowadays and 3-4  (or even 5!) is where the big demand lies.  That means you can get great deals on no slide and single slide units that are real cream puffs.  Bargain extra hard on those units - the dealer will know that he can't afford to pass up a customer that is interested in a non-slide rig.

RV Roamer said:
Slides are so popular with buyers that even single slide units are depressed in value - two is considered to be almost a minimum nowadays and 3-4  (or even 5!) is where the big demand lies.  That means you can get great deals on no slide and single slide units that are real cream puffs.  Bargain extra hard on those units - the dealer will know that he can't afford to pass up a customer that is interested in a non-slide rig.

Will do!  And I heard that a no-slide unit is more structurally sound for towing than a unit with lots of slides.  Not sure how true that is, but it certainly make logical sense that it is not going to be structurally weaker by having no slides..

Ron,

Don't dream up too many issues making the "No Slide" a better deal.  It just does not wash.  The extra room is a big, big plus.

Mike

MikeD123 said:
Ron,

Don't dream up too many issues making the "No Slide" a better deal.  It just does not wash.  The extra room is a big, big plus.

Mike

Roger that Mike, sure wish I could find a unit in my price range with a bunch of slides...

And I heard that a no-slide unit is more structurally sound for towing than a unit with lots of slides.

Does the term "Hogwash" mean anything to you?  ;)

The sidewalls of a motorhome have  nothing to do with its strength,  rigidity or towing capacity - it's strictly a matter of chassis design.  A sidewall with lots of openings (windows or slides) may well flex more than one with fewer openings, but that does not effect the chassis one iota, not does the chassis rely on the sidewall for stiffening. It's strictly a body on frame construction, not a unibody, and the sidewalls are merely tacked onto the flooring. It's literally just a box sitting on top of a frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom