1996 Newmar Mountain Aire 3757 - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dockrocker

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker (well, not really but it sounded good! :) )

The Mrs and I are looking at going the RV route for "family time" after we sell our boat.  Two kids, 5 and 2, and a 110 lbs dog who *may* make the occaisional weekend trip with us.  We are leaning toward a TT, but I have found a 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire 3757 at a somewhat local dealer.  The MH in question has the Ford 460 w/ Banks PP, tag axle, Onan 6500 watt genset, shows 37,500 on the odo.  They are asking high 20's for it.  I have not yet seen the unit, only pics on the web (too busy putting up Christmas lights this weekend...)

From what I gather, Newmar has a reputation as a higher-quality builder, so I'm not too concerned about the overall engineering and build quality.  I am somewhat clueless about the chassis and related components used in that year, as well as the pro's and con's of the 460 Ford of that vintage.

Curious as to basic maintenance (suspension, tires, etc) costs, as well as insurance and MPG (I know it's going to be bad, the question is more along the lines of "bad" or "truly horrendous").  The plan is to use it for weekends and the odd week long vacation.  Almost certainly will *not* be making cross-country trips - more like a couple hundred miles, each way.  I also have a 2000 Mercury Sable I will be inheriting that we can use for a toad, so thoughts/advice on that would be appreciated (even a newbie like me knows that my F-250 CC or the wife's Durango is not really toad material unless we bought a Prevost!)

I like the idea of the kids having a bit more space to keep them occupied rather than buttoned down right behind us in my truck, so the MH appeals to me.  Any guidance would be appreciated!

You should nave no troubles with the 460 Banks and Tag.  That's what we have and love it.The Newmar is a little heavier than our Pace Arrow but should be no problem towwing that Sable.  Smoky on this forum tows a Sable wagon 4 down.  Should he see this message I'm sure he can tell you how to go about it and what you need.  If  I see him again today I'll tell him to check this thread.  Check the NA Guide and it sounds like a real decent deal with  the Banks  Thats about 35oo to 4500 option.    When are we going to see you on the road and hope you can make Quartsite in Jan  Oh the book ssays 32000 + for low value.  Check the tires and make sure of Date on them.  Check out batteries,  and test the  plumbing and get all books  possible that came with it.  Also check out the A/C and heat.

The thing that makes me wonder is that this unit seems to be priced significantly lower than others of similar vintage.  Of course, it's in Michigan, the state with the worst economy in the country (and no hurricane to blame, either!)

Just make sure you test drive it and test everything before jumping at it.  I found a MH exactly like mine, in Michigan, for my neighbor  2 weeks after we bought ours.  The prices then seamed lower also.  Maybe not as many Michganers are buying used.    Probably got too much money and don't want to keep these old ones.  LOL  Sounds like a great buy to me,  but then I'm easy.

The price is only a couple of thousand under NADA and without a slide it will definitely have a lower resale value so it doesn't seem out of line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom