1997 Tioga - propane won't flow after tank refill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

out2pasturcop

My propane tanks were getting low on my 97' Ford Tioga.  I pulled into a reputable dealer and had the tanks refilled.  Thought everything was fine until next time I tried to use propane.  None of the propane appliances would work.  It seems like propane is not flowing.  Could the regulator have been damaged during refill?  Any suggestions of what to try would be appreciated.

Does your Tioga have an automatic shut off mechanism which when propane is detected, shuts off a valve supplying propane to your RV? If so, when they filled your tank, a whiff of propane may have been released which triggered the shut off of the valve. I have never had this type of propane detector, so do not know how you reset it. I am sure someone here has such a system and can tell you how to reset it.

Richard

Chances are good that the person who filled your propane tank left the main valve off after filling your tank.  They usually leave it to you to turn the valve back on again, at least that's my experience.  And if the LPG leak detector detected a leak and turned the valve off as Richard noted, all you need do is turn the LPG leak detector on/off switch to off and then on again.  When you do that, it usually chirps for a few seconds and then stops.  When it stops chirping, you should be able to use your propane appliances once again.

rsalhus said:
And if the LPG leak detector detected a leak and turned the valve off as Richard noted, all you need do is turn the LPG leak detector on/off switch to off and then on again.  When you do that, it usually chirps for a few seconds and then stops.  When it stops chirping, you should be able to use your propane appliances once again.

Rolf,

Thanks for giving the procedure for resetting a LPG leak detector. I have never owned one, so I didn't know how they worked.

Richard

Yep, when I had my 96 Tioga  I used to have to reset the detector switch a couple times before gas would flow.

Not all Propane (Explosive gas) Leak detectors operate a safety valve.. Just so you know

The two most common issues are

1: First step in a refill is CLOSE THE VALVE on the tank.  Last step is opening the valve but the technician almost never does that.

2: Some rigs have "Excess flow" valves.. Mine does (After market in my case)

The way these work is fairly simple.. So long as there is equal pressure on both sides of the valve it does nothing.. but if there is NO pressure on the outlet side, and tank pressure on the tank side. it Slams shut, FAST, to prevent the escape of propane from what it assumes is a broken line.

To re-set

Trun off

Using microwave or electric coffee pot make coffee or tea (NOTE: This step is "Kill time" in case you are not a coffee or tea person) this allows the valve to reset

now,  Open the valve SLOWLY, when you hear it HISS STOP  When it stops, open it a little bit more, and then a little bit more

When you no longer hear any sound.. Open it full and try the stove

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom