1998-2007 Class A Diesel Pusher OPINIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockypablo

8)I am looking to find a QUALITY Class A diesel pusher of 30-37 feet.  We will tow 5000-7500 pounds.  I am looking at Monoco, Tiffin, or Fleetwood.  Am I missing any other models. I want a quality coach for around $50,000 as I think I can find one like that with under 100,000 miles and a slide or 2.  My feeling is that a Diesel pusher with under 100,000 miles is just getting broken in and if I can get a well cared for coach I can drive it for a couple years.  Opinions on this? 

Also what power plant does anyone recommend or suggest we avoid.  I have been reading a lot of the forums and it seems the Allison 2500 is a little light for what I am trying to tow.  Opinions please. Also the engine.  What seems to be the most reliable engine on the market?  I am not reading great things about Cummins ILC or the CAT engines.  Reliability is key.  I am anal about fluid and filter changes as I believe this is critical to engine longevity.  Any opinions or recomendations or guidance is welcome.

The average RV is driven 6000 miles per year. The average RV owner keeps their RV way less than ten years. When you buy an RV you need to worry about the condition it is currently in not how long it will last. How long an RV lasts has nothing to do with the QUALITY of the RV. How long it lasts depends on the care it received during its lifetime. With used coaches condition is everything and the badge is meaningless.

If you eliminate Cummins and Cat you won?t have much, if anything, left

It's going to have a Cummins or Cat engine, so get used to the idea. However, I think you are overreacting to the reports you have found - both brands of engines are fine and used in tens of thousands of over-the-road trucks and motorhomes. Even pick-up trucks (Dodge Ram). There was a recall on some Cummins ISLs made in late 2005 and early 2006, but that has probably already been resolved in a used coach.

Other brands in those years: Country Coach, Holiday Rambler (from Monaco), Newmar, Winnebago and National RV. Also the American Coach models from Fleetwood (separate and distinct from the various Fleetwood brands)

$50k is do-able, but about the bottom end of the range.  A old DP in good condition is going to run $42-$50k and the newer end of your range is probably going to be $60-$75k.

You want the Allison 3000 or 4000 transmission, not the 2500.  The 2500 will limit the tow capability to around 5000-5500 lbs in most coaches.

At that price point - condition and care is probably going to mean more than brand in my opinion.  There are some gorgeous MHs out there for $50K, but plan on spending a little to fix things it needs, like tires, etc.

We really like our diesel pusher, but the only reason we bought it was because i wanted a tag axle for significantly more load carrying ability, and we loved the floorplan. Our previous two Motorhomes were gas coaches, the 2nd of which had a Ford V-10. I was VERY impressed with that engine and drive train. The newer V-10s have significantly more HP, and better transmissions.

The standard chassis maintenance on our diesel pusher costs about three times as much as it did on each of our gas coaches. That's the reality of diesel powered coaches. There's just a lot more of everything, and everything costs more.

Urban legends about the lifespans of diesel engines abound, and while the engine blocks and a few other diesel engine components may outlast those of gas engines, hoses, belts, fuel lines and many other components will all need to be replaced about as often as the same components on gas engines. A diesel engine thats run for 100,000 miles has long since been broken in.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a diesel engine coach. We love ours, but we also loved our gas coaches. I just want you to be aware of the increased costs of owning and operating a diesel pusher. For the same money, you could buy a newer coach, up to 38 feet in length, with a V-10 that will tow the weights you mentioned. They won't have air ride and Jake brakes, which are nice features, but they are nice RVs nonetheless. Good luck with your decision.

Kev

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom