1998 American Tradition 40tvs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I own a 1998 American Trad..,, I know of no "bad or ugly" depending on the care it's had in it's life
GOOD
1.Spartan chassis
2.Cummins 8.3 non electronic 12 valve engine ( great mileage.)
3. Allison MD3060 Transmission. (6 speed tough as nails )
4. American was a high end builder in the day
5. The 40s all had a single slide on the drivers side ( Mine is a 38TT (no slide as I wished it.)
6. Power Gear three point hydraulic leveling jacks rated at 16K each
7. Side radiator. ( easy to service and get to the engine from the rear)
8. double "stacked" chassis frame rails full length to prevent frame twisting.
9. IFS front suspension system
10. You may own a good one if cared for,, and these are worth caring for!.

>>>Dan

Last edited:
I own a 1998 American Trad..,, I know of no "bad or ugly" depending on the care it's had in it's life
GOOD
1.Spartan chassis
2.Cummins 8.3 non electronic 12 valve engine ( great mileage.)
3. Allison MD3060 Transmission. (6 speed tough as nails )
4. American was a high end builder in the day
5. The 40s all had a single slide on the drivers side ( Mine is a 38TT (no slide as I wished it.)
6. Power Gear three point hydraulic leveling jacks rated at 16K each
7. Side radiator. ( east to service and get to the engine from the rear)
8. double "stacked" chassis frame rails full length to prevent frame twisting.
9. IFS front suspension system
10. You may own a good one if cared for,, and these are worth caring for!.

>>>Dan
Thank you so much for your info I absolutely love it I’m having it gone through at lazy days right now so I’m hoping for a clean bill of health Monday and I’ll be on my way to pick it up can’t wait

One area you will have to be aware of when using the leveling jacks.. This is a three point system and is similar to a milk stool,,ALWAYS LOWER THE FRONT JACK FIRST to get the front end up and relieve some of the front weight before lowering the rears.. The front has to be able to "teeter" when leveling to prevent damage to the windshield.. I mounted a small string level for side to side, at the front dash and another on the drivers window frame for for & aft to assist in leveling with out getting out of the drivers seat..>>>Dan

Last edited:
One area you will have to be aware of when using the leveling jacks.. This is a three point system and is similar to a milk stool,,ALWAYS LOWER THE FRONT JACK FIRST to get the front end up and relieve some of the front weight before lowering the rears.. The front has to be able to "teeter" when leveling to prevent damage to the windshield..>>>Dan
Oh ok thanks again

Go to the trouble to look carefully at the roof,, it's EPDM rubber and 24 years old so no doubt needs to be coated with a sealant coat like Henrys Tropi-Cool 887.. Particularly in the wet southeast part of the country and outdoor storage..>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom