1998 Fleetwood Mallard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thayden

Just recently purchased a used 1998 27 ft. Fleetwood Mallard Travel Trailer.  It is in excellent condition except for two things.  The stereo and refrigerator do  not work.  The refrigerator worked the first time we used the trailer, but we could never get the stereo to work.  Everything else works fine.  Does anyone have any insight to what might be the problem?  Also, does it need two 12 volt batteries to work?  We have only one.  Our friends have a 30 ft. trailer and it has two batteries and a circuit panel in the trailer, which we do not (or at least I don't think we do.)  Any advice would be appreciated.
Theresa

You stereo runs on 12 VDC.  Your refrigerator runs on 120VAC hooked to shore power and propane plus 12VDC when not hooked to shore power.  Since you say that you do not have batteries (you would find them near the propane tanks on the coupler A-frame) you have found your problem. 

Buy a pair of deep cycle 12V batteries of the size that would fit your battery frame in the location I described.  Make sure that those batteries are deep cycle and not starting batteries or the so-called dual purpose marine batteries.  Hook them in parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative.  Hook the positive terminal to the red cable coming out of the trailer.  Hook the negative of one or the other to the black or white cable attached to the trailer frame.

Yes, you have a circuit board.  Knowing Fleetwood products it is probably under the bed at the front of the trailer.  In any case it will be near the shore power cord inlet.

Your friends either have 2 12V batteries in parallel or 2 6V batteries in series.  Your one battery is a 12V battery.  There will be a fuse panel for the 12V circuits, probably where Carl indicated.  If not under the bed, then it will be whereever your converter is located.  As for why the stereo isn't working, check the fuse when you locate the fuse panel.  Does the refigerator not work on either 110VAC or gas or both?

Oh fur corn sakes.  I misread that post entirely.  Ingnore last telegram. :-[

Check the battery for charge.  If it is shot*, consider getting a pair of batteries to replace it if you have or can make space on the frame to hold a second battery.  A some Fleetwoods did back in the 90s.

If the battery is ok, check the fuse panel for thrown breakers or blown fuses.  Check behind the stereo for any blown in-line fuses that might be there. 

That process stands a good chance of fixing your fridge problem

*Running a deep cycle battery to zero, especially an older one, essentially kills it. 

Thank you for your expertise and suggestions.  We looked everywhere but under the bed for the control panel.  I sure hope it is there and it is just a blown fuse or a tripped circuit.  As for the stereo, maybe it is a blown fuse.  I am still a little confused about the 12 volt battery.  Do we need a 2nd one?  What are the benefits?
Thanks,
Theresa

A second battery will give you twice the power available when boondocking.  If you always have electric hookups, then you don't need it.

thayden said:
Thank you for your expertise and suggestions.  We looked everywhere but under the bed for the control panel.  I sure hope it is there and it is just a blown fuse or a tripped circuit.  As for the stereo, maybe it is a blown fuse.  I am still a little confused about the 12 volt battery.  Do we need a 2nd one?  What are the benefits?
Thanks,
Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Not all power panels are under the bed. Some are located in the living/galley area near the floor. Others are small panels located inside a cabinet somewhere in the trailer. Usually the smaller panels in the cabinet use a separate 120V panel located elsewhere. They are usually a dark brown unit with a cover that you can open to access breakers/fuses.

You do not need a second battery if you are not going to spend a lot of time camping without shore power. If all you are doing is traveling to a campground with hookups one battery should be enough. Another can always be added if you decide you need it.

Some of the older Fleetwood trailers had the fuse panel in the cubbyhole below the fridge. There should be a small fuse box and a converter/charger (provides 12V power from shore power and re-cahrges the battery) Listen for a small tin box that hums!  :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom