1998 Newmar Mountain Air Central Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clyde 'Buck' Grimes

My main AC does not have a vent/control panel below it. It blows the air into a channel that is distributed throughout the motorhome; hence, I refer to it as a Central Air system.

I am attempting to remove the top unit to reseal it and assure that there are no other issues with the entry point.

Question: Anyone know of a video or a work item list for removing the Central AC unit from the top of the 1998 Newmar Mountain Air motorhome or similar? There is no vent/control panel directly below the unit, I can't look up into it to see what to do!

Thank you in advance for your help!

There is no vent/control panel directly below the unit, I can't look up into it to see what to do!
What does it have on the inside below the air conditioner unit? What brand of air conditioner is it?
RP-A3500-Interior-ON__95490.1653591848.jpg

My main AC does not have a vent/control panel below it. It blows the air into a channel that is distributed throughout the motorhome; hence, I refer to it as a Central Air system.
That is called a ducted a/c system, i.e. that "channel" is simply an air duct. Yes, it is is "central air".

Most Newmar coaches of that era had Atwood DuoTherm (now Dometic) a/c units and thermostats. The roof a/c consists of an upper and lower assembly and they are clamped together by 4 bolts, basically one in each corner, and accessed from the interior of the coach. Drop down the interior cover (usually with the air filter) and they should be visible. The two halves clamp each other onto the ceiling/roof, so be prepared to support the lower (inside) portion when you remove the bolts. The upper(roof) half will just sit there on the roof until you lift it away. There is a gasket between the upper section and the roof, which you will probably want to replace once you remove the top.

I am attempting to remove the top unit to reseal it and assure that there are no other issues with the entry point.

Question: Anyone know of a video or a work item list for removing the Central AC unit from the top of the 1998 Newmar Mountain Air motorhome or similar? There is no vent/control panel directly below the unit, I can't look up into it to see what to do!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Update: There are 5 lag bolts that hold the AC on to the roof! Three on the left side and two on the right side! In the attached picture, I placed the bolts approximately where they were removed from!
Reminder: This is a plenum type AC; hence, it does not have the vents directly below it.

- Thank you to all who helped! -

Attachments

• Mountain Aire Motorhome - Bolts on Main AC.jpg
    Mountain Aire Motorhome - Bolts on Main AC.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom