1998 Newmar Mountain Aire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjsimms

I have a 98 Mountain Air. It is on a "FRED" chassis. I was considering adding air suspension to the leaf spring and shocks. Has anyone done this, and what if any are the options? Thanks.

rjsimms said:
I have a 98 Mountain Air. It is on a "FRED" chassis. I was considering adding air suspension to the leaf spring and shocks. Has anyone done this, and what if any are the options? Thanks.

Do you have a diesel or gas engined Mountain Aire ??? To the best of my knowledge, the FRED chassis is a front diesel engined chassis built by Freightliner since only this year.

Bernie:

Freightliner bought out the John Deer and Oshkosh RV chassis that were front engined but not the same chassis that came out last Fall with the FRED name.

Jeff /Washington said:
Bernie:

Freightliner bought out the John Deer and Oshkosh RV chassis that were front engined but not the same chassis that came out last Fall with the FRED name.

Jeff

The front engined chassis that Deere and Oshkosh built were gas powered, IIRC. By 1998, Frieghtliner was building strictly diesel pushers, to the best of my knowledge. Our UltraSport was a '98 Freightliner chassis and, when we bought it, I hadn't seen any front engine diesels. However, Newmar was building a front mounted gas engined Mountain Aires then.

Bernie:

Thought I had seen a diesel in the bunch, probably mistaken.

It is a front engine diesel. 5.9L Cummins engine (non-electronic). with an Allison AT542 transmission. Freightliner did this for a few years. The best I can find out is Newmar was the only RV manufacturer to use this chassis then. I know that Freightliner is producing them again. That is what I found out from the Freightliner web site.

rjsimms said:
It is a front engine diesel. 5.9L Cummins engine (non-electronic). with an Allison AT542 transmission. Freightliner did this for a few years. The best I can find out is Newmar was the only RV manufacturer to use this chassis then. I know that Freightliner is producing them again. That is what I found out from the Freightliner web site.

RJ (and Jeff)

My apologies. From my involvement with Freightliner back then there was no indication of a front engined diesel being built in 1998.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom