1998 Winnebago Chieftain 33'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fyrmnk

Hi all, I'm looking at a 1998 Chieftain with 43000 miles and a single slide. Has the Banks pack, new front Michelins, and rear tires only 3 years old.

Just curious if anyone knows if the dinette has seat belts (haven't heard back from seller yet), and if not, if seat belts can be added. Need them for rear facing car seats.

Also, any input on the wholesale value would be appreciated, as well as info about the unit itself. It's listed at $35000 by an individual. He's 2nd owner, had 3 years, stored inside last 2.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Would just like to know if it's a good unit historically.

You don't say what model of Chieftain this is but if you go to NADA Guides you can look up the particular model and get the applicable pricing information.

I have a 98 37' Pace Arrow 460 with a Banks Pac, W'D, 1 slide, and Tag Axle with 29000 miles on it and doubt bery much if I can get 35K for it.  I'd think it would be an upgrade over the Chieftain, but then that could result in a matter of opinions.  Heck I even have 2 more years of warranty left on mine.  I just thought of that.  After you check the NADA as Ned suggests  it's your call cuz no one but you can make that decision.  It's all in what he's willing to take and you are willing to give.  Good Luck  JMHO

The NADA only has one 33' model for 1998 and it has it at $31,652 low and $38,131 average without adding on for the slide out.

It won't give me wholesale, which I was curious about for a lower offer. I was thinking of offering in the $29K range or a little lower but have never researched this particular one before.

Thanks for the info.

Try lower you can always come up  but if you offer 29  you bet your booty that he won;t come back and say no but you cam have it for 27.  If he takes your 1st offer he would have settled for less.  Guaranteed.

In regards to your original ?, I have an 98 Adventurer and I do not have seat belt in the dinette seating.  I guess they could be added but would have to be secured to the floor.  Tough call, I don't know if I would want to secure a baby seat with after market seat belts.  I'm sure there a much more qualified out there who will advise you.  Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Looking for any other input on this particular model. I've downloaded the brochure, just looking for any other comments from current RVers since I am new to this.

We are getting close on the price, down to $32,500. I like that it has tires still serviceable and new batteries.

I guess I'm just trying to get over the hump from "looking" to being an RV owner. We'd be part timers. Thanks for any other input on this particular unit you can provide.

You indicated this is a 1998 coach and the tires are still serviceable.  Have you checked the date codes? If note I highly recommend you do because if the tires are as old as the coach they are not really serviceable no matter how they look.  Maximum tire life is 7 years from date of manufacture not the date put into service.  The date code reflects when the tire was manufactured.  Be sure to check this out since this could be an additional expense you haven't planned on.  If the tires are out of date maybe you can get the price adjusted down to cover the cost of new tires.

Thanks for the reply Ron, the rear 4 tires are 3 years old, the front are new.

Keep bickering  32 Still seems like a lot, but then it's only money.

Thanks for the info Shayne. Any input on what you think would be a proper price? Low retail is around $31600 without factoring in any of the options. Average is $38000. This one appears in average to good condition. No leaks, excessive wear, low mileage, etc.

Just want to find what it should sell for. Thanks again.

I'd say low retail at most, if it indeed is in good condition with usable tires. Private sales rarely bring anywhere near NADA value, which reflects a dealer's asking price before any trade-in allowance or discount.

Don't add anything for options - that's mostly a fiction created by the NADA guides. That long list of options is not tailored to the coach - it is simply a generic option list used with all the NADA listings.  Besides, the NADA price already reflects the most commonly installed options on that make & model - it's for the RV "as typically equipped", not the manufacturers base model/price.

Also don't allow extra money for low mileage.  that could be  a curse instead of an advantage.

Thanks for the additional replies. I'll try to get below $31K.

Any other input from anyone regarding this particular model or Winnebagos of that vintage in general? Thanks again for all the help on this and the other one I had been pursuing. Kevin

Re: Seatbelts.
Have 97 Brave, dinette has four belts. Look under the seat cushions, that's where mine are. In fact, the rear facing ones are stowed in the compartment underneath the seat. The seats only gets used when parked-- so not a safety issue!!! 

Thanks TVEDE6. I guess this one doesn't. I did find the online seatbelt dealer listed in another thread, so it shouldn't be too complicated to install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom