1999 Monaco Windsor 36SLD - Advise Appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayrat

I recall in an earlier thread someone mentioned that Monaco is a good brand. I found this one a couple hours drive from me, another private sale being handled by a dealer. It has 61k miles on it, needs tires, interior supposedly looks as new and the exterior needs a good cleaning and waxing. Systems condition unknown at this time although it has been used this summer at the RV park that is selling it.

The dealer says it sits very low but is going to attempt to take pictures of the bottom side for me. I included a picture and wonder if perhaps the rear air bags are not working. Asking price is $40,000 which is quite a bit more than average retail but I suspect they are negotiable.

Advise welcome!!

Attachments

• C16_a.jpg
    C16_a.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 83
That back side does look low, but if the ground in front is lower than that in the rear, and if the coach has air leveling, then it could look that way as "normal operation."

Monaco is a good brand and still in business. I wonder if the air bags are just deflated after sitting for a while in that spot. Mine will settle after a good sit. If the problem is a leaking air bag, then they can be replaced fairly inexpensively. Could also be an air leak in the system. Start it and run it till the air pressure and the bags come up. Then shut it off and bend down and listen for air leaks.

Thanks guys, I'm going to attempt to get there tomorrow after the admiral finishes her meeting at the church. I like the look of it and it appears to have what I want although I don't see a driver exit door.

Here are some shots of the bottom the dealer just sent me.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 75
Bayrat said:
Thanks guys, I'm going to attempt to get there tomorrow after the admiral finishes her meeting at the church. I like the look of it and it appears to have what I want although I don't see a driver exit door.

A driver exit door would be very low on my requirements list. JMHO

Here is the roof, it appears to be rubber in the middle and glass on the ends correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 65
Not ever having owned one, I thought the driver door would be handy for jumping in and out for fueling or quick stops. Perhaps not that necessary though. Thanks for the advise Lou.

We had a driver door in a previous rig and don't miss it at all in this rig. Not having one eliminates all sorts of  wind noise and air leaks.  Rigs with no driver door  have windows for paying tolls at booths.

BB

I had a1994 HR Imperial DP that had a drivers door. Only time I remember using it was when it was parked in storage VERY close to the next rig on the Passenger side.

I also had a 2000 Windsor for 9+ years that was a great coach. On the 2000 the roof was all fiberglass with no front and back cap seams. I though the 1999 also had a fiberglass roof. Another forum member has a1999 and it is very near to me so I will check it out.

ken

Thanks Ken, I appreciate that. Also thought the driver door would be beneficial but reading these comments I guess I should not have placed so much weight on having one.

I noticed the straight edges on the front and the rear of the roof, almost as though some tarp or plastic was fastened there to stop water leaks so I went back to the pictures and found this one of the head. Take a look at the top left of the picture. I may not even bother to go look at this one.

Attachments

• C16_i.jpg
    C16_i.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 71
You aren't going to find many DPs with a driver side door. Personally, I don't find much use for them anyway. It's not as convenient as it sounds - the step up/down is awkward.

Sure sign of a water leak around the sky light. Repairable,  but probably a job for a pro. The roof itself is fiberglass and the framing is all steel, but there is probably a layer of luan under the fiberglass and another forming the ceiling just under the ceiling ozite. 

If you look at this rig in person, I would look closely at the entire ceiling including opening the upper cabinets and checking the ceiling there. Further this may be a sign of general neglect, in which case be very careful.

ken

Will do Ken, probably going there Saturday. The owner was asking $60,000 up to a short time ago, the dealer told her to be more realistic if she wants it gone. What requires the pro, the stain or the water leak? I'm guessing you refer to the stain.

Watch out when a dealer says"want it gone". Any coach that has been well cared for and maintained  is worth the extra
time and money spent. Don't be afraid to over-spend, especially on a used DP! Have you heard this one before? "the frugal
man or woman ends up paying the most" Like the Nike ad says: Just do it! Quit looking at misfit coaches and start enjoying
the buying experience. Buy your second coach first....

Dan 

dan2 said:
Watch out when a dealer says"want it gone". Any coach that has been well cared for and maintained  is worth the extra
time and money spent. Don't be afraid to over-spend, especially on a used DP! Have you heard this one before? "the frugal
man or woman ends up paying the most" Like the Nike ad says: Just do it! Quit looking at misfit coaches and start enjoying
the buying experience. Buy your second coach first....

Dan

I agree whole heartedly Dan and in fact several of the coaches I have looked at have been represented as extra clean and nice, however, I continue to find problems. Just spoke to the dealership and that leak was in the skylight, has been repaired, dealer stated that they left the stain as to not try to hide anything. Perhaps, but the rig itself is exactly what we are looking for including the 10k towing capacity for my boat.

I will grant that the drivers door might be a frivolous item, and I do not hold that I would decline a good deal based on that alone, but I prefer them.  It is an extra emergency exit say in the case of a side crash on the passengers side and you can't get out any otherway.  If you have one pray to God you NEVER have to use it for that reason.

Every RV has an emergency exit - they are  required by the ANSI standards for RVs. In motorhomes, it is usually a large window that is hinged or otherwise easily removable. And plainly marked as an emergency exit.

Perhaps. :). I did not see any other motor coach's in pictures. Is travel trailers their speciality.... I wonder if RV dealerships
hate informed customers as much as a cash deal?

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom