1st Vacation and accident in MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve & Leslie's Patriot

We made our first 'real trip' in our MH for ten days the end of July.? We left L.A., took the 101 N, stopping in San Juan Bautista for a night and Petaluma KOA for a night (my sister lives in that area) and then on to the Cloverdale Koa for five nights.? The roads were nice, the campgrounds pretty good.? After learning to request a better space at the KOA, which seemed overloaded at first and not planned too well for large Class A MHs we settled into some nice sightseeing up by FT. Bragg, and along some roads through the beautiful redwoods and wine country.? We planned a relaxed drive home, leaving a couple of days early in order to take our time and see a few more 'sights'.
However, coming just out of Santa Rosa on the 101 a lady in an 86 Mercedes did a 360 into the left back side of the MH and then another 360 into our toad (2005 Jeep Wrangler), almost flipped it over.? According to our witness, a wonderful man (in a Class C RV) who pulled over right away, gave us his observations, name and phone numbers, she was going too fast, slammed on her brakes and spun out of control.? Our MH is still in repair - she managed to dent a steel door over our side radiators enough so that the coolers all have to be replaced (three of them?), the vented panel has to be replace plus various other repairs, the rear axle on the Jeep, bumper, rear fender and the tow bar and plate were all damaged and had to be replaced.? Now, that was a small car, the insurance guy told us those older MB are little tanks.? By the way, I felt only a bump in that MH and then heard my husband's comments, various as they were.? ? ?
We managed to arrive home safely after two more days of driving and holding our breath. The Jeep came unfastened on one side just outside of Oakland due to a broken bolt on the tow bar and we had to unhook and drive off the freeway to find a place to repair that in order to make it home.? We found a service station with a garage and the young manager did the repair and did not want to charge us.
Things we learned: We met some very nice, helpful people along the way,? people who go out of their way to be nice and expect nothing in return. I am happy that we were in a larger MH, what if she had hit us that hard in anything else. We miss the RV, we want it repaired, healthy and back in its own home.? And, even with various mishaps, we enjoy 'rving', just a whole different frame of mind. :)? ?
?

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you weren't hurt. Hope your rig gets fixed pretty soon.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I assume the MB lady stopped? Also that she had insurance? Sounds like a trip you'll always remember. Just think, the next trip has got to be better!

Keep enjoying!

Yes, the lady had insurance and had to pull over since they had to tow her car away.? She wasn't hurt, which was a miracle, thank goodness.? She did have insurance, another thank goodness!? We are grateful it wasn't worse.  Thank you.

Certainly glad all survived with only damage to the vehicles, they can be repair, human can mend but not repaired.  Vehicles are merely a bucket of bolts and can be replaced, whereas you and your family are invaluable and can't be replaced.  Your survival in a larger RV is what I keep stating, thie bigger the better. If I have to worry about mileage per gallon I wouldn't own one. We have a 37' wish it was a 45. I believe safety is in size when referring to vehicles  I wouldn't drive a small car let alone a small RV.  I got out of the car and RV business in the 70's when all the small cars came about, due to the fact I couldn't see my customers and look them in the face after delivering a small unit and having to attend the funeral of one of their loved ones and fell the same way today.  Maybe I'm peranoid but that the way I feel.  When I get in a small car I feel like screaming cause I'm all closed up in a suitcase and have nothing in front of me except the other guys rear bumper and if his driving the same thing as you, heaven help both of you. Again glad you and family are ok.

lazydays said:
Glad you made it home safe!! Isn?t FT Brag in Carolina? :-\

Ft. Bragg is a small town on the coast in Northern California and also the home of the Airborne in North Carolina.    Ft Bragg, CA was named after Capt. Braxton Bragg of the US Army in 1857.  Ft. Bragg, NC was named after General Braxton Bragg of the Army of the CSA in 1918.

There is a Ft. Bragg along Pacific Hwy 1, beautiful area!? Thanks for the thoughts.? Our RV is a 36', seems huge to me until we park next to a 40' or larger.? I know what you mean by small cars, I am used to a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my work car and when I get in my daughter's Mitsubishi I am very nervous.? I am not quite used to riding in the MH but this accident was rough on our nerves but physically we are fine thanks to what seems to be pretty solid surroundings(and the good Lord).
Leslie

Carl Lundquist said:
?

Ft. Bragg is a small town on the coast in Northern California and also the home of the Airborne in North Carolina.? ? Ft Bragg, CA was named after Capt. Braxton Bragg of the US Army in 1857.? ?Ft. Bragg, NC was named after General Braxton Bragg of the Army of the CSA in 1918.

Thanks for the History lesson! "I did not know that"  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom