2000 V-10 Excursion Ltd 4X4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caprichoso

<----------- Still LMAO at the "Ford Excursion, towable?" thread.? Oh, the wretched excess! :D

I actually tow with an Excursion and am very impressed with most aspects of the vehicle when hitched up to the TT. Unhitched, it rarely has a load and isn't too comfort friendly. Fortunately, it will rarely move without a load to haul. Aside from the ball joints, what kind of reliability can I expect? Any known problems for X's that tow big loads? This one has 94,000 miles and has been perfect for about a 1000 miles of towing so far. When purchased, I took it right to Ford and fixed a loose bolt in the rear suspension that caused a significant thump upon stopping and attached a loose heat shield that was causing the truck to sound flatulent. Other than that, the tech pronounced the truck in "great shape". Winter is almost here and it will most likely not get much work for the next six months or so.

I looked long and hard for an acceptable PSD and never found one. After filling up the V-10 with $2.89/gallon gas two months ago, and today seeing diesel still well over $3 per gallon while gas is down to the low $2's, I'm happier than ever with the gas engine. That 33% price difference will more than mitigates any mpg savings diesel has, wont it?

That's a great price compared to $3.09 here in northern Illinois. I just filled up with regular unleaded for $2.32 on the same pump that charged me $2.68 two weeks ago. Just about the time people started complaining about profits for BigOil. No coincidence there, of course!

caprichoso said:
<----------- Still LMAO at the "Ford Excursion, towable?" thread.? Oh, the wretched excess! :D

I actually tow with an Excursion and am very impressed with most aspects of the vehicle when hitched up to the TT. Unhitched, it rarely has a load and isn't too comfort friendly...
I looked long and hard for an acceptable PSD and never found one. After filling up the V-10 with $2.89/gallon gas two months ago, and today seeing diesel still well over $3 per gallon while gas is down to the low $2's, I'm happier than ever with the gas engine. That 33% price difference will more than mitigates any mpg savings diesel has, wont it?
I have been running diesel trucks for 15 years.  Over the last couple of years, diesel fuel prices tend to be the same a gas in summer an a little more in winter.  Nowhere close to 50% more in winter (e.g. $3 for diesel vs. $2 for gasoline).  I have an Excursion which unloaded gets between 17 to 18 on the highway.  Doublt you will see that with your V10.  In addition the PSD has so much torque, that it can pull big hills in OD w/o downshifting.  The V-10 has power, but it fatigues the driver when the trans continually drops one even two gears and then have the engine scream at 4500 RPM in second gear going 45 mph up the hill.

I hope you will be happy with your Excursion.  I am with mine!  I don't think that it rides that rough unloaded, but then again, it is a truck!

Back
Top Bottom