2003 American Tradition: Engine won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarabelle

Help!  I went to start my Cummins 350 (2003 American Tradition) today for a trip and it won't start.  The batteries turn it over great, but the engine won't even cough.  Tank is 1/2 full of diesel.  The genny runs fine.  I pulled an injector line and turned the engine.  Diesel came out.  Still turning over fast, but won't fire.  The Wait To Start light goes out normally.  Oil is good level. Any ideas?

??? ??? ???

I forgot to mention that when I first cranked it early this morning, it started right up and ran normally for about 15 seconds.  That was it.  Then it just cranked fast and no start.

Diesels will run as long as they have fuel and air.  I suggest you check your primary fuel filter and see if it is full of fuel.  If not, then fill it up and replace it.  If you have another, such as a Racor water separator, then do the same with that.  Next, check to make sure you are not pulling air into the lines.  I know you said you had fuel at an injector, so you may be O.K..  If the Cummins has a glow plug for starting, it could be there.

Based upon that, you definitely do not have fuel at the injectors.  Fill the filters like I said in the last message.  Also look for where you are getting air into the system.  Could be a line, loose filter, etc..

If the engine is turning over then it pretty much has to be fuel starvation.  What is the outside temperature where you are?  When did you last fuel up?  If you got Fuel during the summer months you probably do not have any cold flow additive in the fuel. If it is cold like in the 30/s or lower you may have a fuel Gelling problem which can cause plugged filters.  I would replace the fuel filters and if temps are warm enough try again.  Your engine is self priming and Cummins does not recommend filling the fuel filters prior to installation.  Prim can be accomplished by turning the ignition key on to the run position and waiting a few seconds after the wait to start light goes out.  do this a couple three times then try to start again.

Clarabelle said:
Help!? I went to start my Cummins 350 (2003 American Tradition) today for a trip and it won't start.? The batteries turn it over great, but the engine won't even cough.? Tank is 1/2 full of diesel.? The genny runs fine.? I pulled an injector line and turned the engine.? Diesel came out.? Still turning over fast, but won't fire.? The Wait To Start light goes out normally.? Oil is good level. Any ideas?

??? ??? ???

I suspect the engine electronics are not getting power. Most common cause is that the small terminated wire lug at battery terminal which feeds directly to engine electronics is corroded. Clean all the termianls at the battery and I think it will work.

Ron
Your priming suggestion worked.  It's purring like a kitten. I had purchased these tickets for my boys and me to go to the NASCAR race tomorrow in Ft. Worth (We are in Houston) and it looks like we'll still make it.  You have helped me in the past and I really appreciate you.  Thank you and the others very much for your suggestions.    ;)

Thanks.  We are glad we were able to help you.  We are currently at Paradise a a few miles North of the Speedway. 

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Ron from Big D said:
Diesels will run as long as they have fuel and air.?

Most definitely must have 12v electrical power. A frequent roadside asssistance call is for coaches that haven't maintianed their batteries and corrosion is all over it. This affects the 12v tap off the battery for the engine electronics . It will turn over because the heavy cables to starter are not affected as much but it will not start or run until it has a good power source at ECM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom