2003 Fleetwood Discovery, good unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel G

Looking at a 2003  Fleetwood Discovery with 330 HP Cat and 34000 miles.  Seems like a well built coach.  Any opinions good or bad?

Daniel G

The Discovery is a nice, mid-priced coach. Used to be one of the most popular coaches, until other brands caught up with its features and price.

Check the age of the tires (date code on sidewall). An 03 likely has its original tires, which means they are due for replacement no later than 2010 and maybe due already (it is common for an early build 03 to have 2002 vintage tires). Tires in that size are expensive, so figure the replacement cost into the purchase decision.

We generally recommend that RV tires be replaced at no later than 7 years of age, regardless of tread wear. The risk of a catastrophic failure and damage to the coach is simply too great beyond that point.

Disco's are nice rigs. Downside is the TPO roof, though I have a 01 southwind and my roof is fine. When I'm ready for a dp I'll be looking for a 34ft 3 slide Disco or Expedition.

TPO makes an excellent roof, far and away better than the old style "rubber", even though it too is EPDM. TPO is not porous, so it stays bright and clean and does not streak the sides with chalk residue like EPDM rubber did.

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Providence which is a slightly upgraded version of the Discovery and we love our unit. The reason we got a Fleetwood is that it seems that you get more bang for your buck with a Fleetwood. I spent 5 months researching before I bought and the Fleetwoods seemed to offer more for the money across the board.

RV Roamer said:
TPO makes an excellent roof, far and away better than the old style "rubber", even though it too is EPDM. TPO is not porous, so it stays bright and clean and does not streak the sides with chalk residue like EPDM rubber did.

I keep the roof and my whole rig spotless. However the previous didn't spend much time keeping the roof clean. I had a heckuva time cleaning the TPO the first couple times. It still isn't up to my standards, but I'm the only one that sees it...lol

Back
Top Bottom