2003 Itasca Spirit Loose Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone had this issue before? I will have the roof repaired by a shop but will be going on a 250 mile trip before hand and was wondering if anyone has a DIY fix ahead of my service center visit. The caulking is all solid in both side rails and the front and rear. I have a video of it but i cannot upload it. Thanks

Welcome. So I'm going to guess the Filon outer 'skin' is becoming separated from its Luan (1/8" plywood) substrate which appears like bubbles in the roof surface - or something else?

It is more than just bubbles. If you press on it up and down, then it waves about 2 feet in it acts like waves. Like 2 feet x 2 feet area has come loose. Maybe even 3 feet. Thanks

Okay, you have a delamination. I agree with Gary that you should be fine for a trip. I recently repaired a similar situation on my Horizon's roof but a somewhat smaller area.

One fairly simple fix is to drill about a 1/8" hole through the roof skin every 1.5" to 2" and inject epoxy using a plastic syringe. The epoxy is a slow cure so you have time to inject every hole and then use a series of weights over the entire area to press down the epoxy.

My repair took about two hours with the hardest part being on my knees. I'll look for the kit I bought and post a link.

Found the epoxy I used - this is marine grade epoxy, and here's the syringes. The epoxy is expensive but this sort of repair is something you only want to do one time. Message me if you decide to do the repair yourself, I'll give you a few tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom