2003 Tiffin Allegro Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shayne

Am considering a particular unit and forgot one of the most imortant items.  What type of suspension would a  38' cat 330 powered unit have and can a chip be inserted to up the power factor.  Would Banks Pak help this unit  in many cases of diesels it doen't factor in much to have Banks.  Als would this have Independent front Suspension. Could a couch(Bed) be installed in place of the recliner chair. I know these are fine units but I have no experience in owning a Tiffin.  Guess I'm just to cheap.  If I purchase this,  someone is going to get a really good 98 Pace Arrow 460 Banks Pac with 29K miles on it with W/D  Sat and the works, including Tag Axle which I love and would be giving up on the Tiffin.  Thanks

Just adding a chip to up the horsepower isn't always enough.  You may also have to beef up the cooling system too, and be sure the transmission will handle the extra power.  Generally, chipping a diesel doesn't really give enough benefit to make it worth the cost and the risks are too great.

Thanks  Ned  I was thinking along those lines when I asked.

Shayne

The unit is most likely on a Freightliner chassis. The cooling system is about maxed out for hp/torque. The suspension would be a solid front axle but with a 50? wheel cut. Better than the IFS suspensions of that era. Banks doesn't make a CAT kit IIRC. That all said, it is a fine package.

Shayne:

The 330 Cat is probably a model 3126B. If so it is rated at 330hp, 860ft/lb of torque. Adding a chip may up the HP but I don't believe it will affect the torque which will be a better measure of its hill climbing ability.

Our 330hp 3126B can hold 75 mph all day long on level or rolling terrain.(If I want to buy the fuel, which I do not) On a 6% grade we easily climb in 4th gear at 2200 RPM at 50mph, 4-5% grades in 5th at around 60mph and we have NEVER had a heating problem with temps into the high 90's. Our MCGVW is 31k towing a CRV.

I think I'm suggesting that the engine will handle all your needs with the Allergro without affecting the other engine systems. Maybe try it for awhile before you make any changes. The Banks system on our 460's addressed a shortcoming of the engine and provided real performance increases of hp and torque. The Cat does pretty well by itself.

Ned , bernie and Jeff  Thank you all for the great advise.  As of now I', thinking of flying to J'ville, Fla and take it for a drive and check it out.  The only thing that bothers me now is I haven't been able to find the dry weight on the unit and they can't tell me the hitch rating as of yet. It has a GVWR of 29410 and a GCWR of 3910.  My trailer loaded is 11200 with Lincoln inside.  It also would be 64' without the A frame of the hitch on the trailer.  Thinking I might be asking for trouble.  I think I can get by on length cause all the musical uits with trailers are usually 45 plus 20 or 24 trailers.  Oh well thats a risk I may well take.  Again gents  Thank you. Now it's time to mull this over if I want to spend the money or by the Boss another house.  YUK

That trailer is 1200 lbs. over the allowed towing capacity of the motor home.  That's a risk I wouldn't take.

Ned said:
That trailer is 1200 lbs. over the allowed towing capacity of the motor home.  That's a risk I wouldn't take.

Ned:

I think he has improved his tow capacity by 6500 pounds over the Pace Arrow on an F-53 chassis which IIRC is a 3500 pound hitch system.

Shayne, is that the trailer you have been towing with the Pace?

Shayne LOL!  I am sure your trailer is over the towing capacity which is likely around 10,000.  But heck that should not stop you.  It is still better than your Pace Arrow!  ;D  Just be very very careful out there.  You already know what banged up Lincolns look like.

We have the 330 Cummins on ours without any Banks conversion.  On the steepest of grades we slow to 45 mph fully loaded and towing our Taurus station wagon.  On average grades we do not miss a beat.  I think you will do fine at 330.

Incidentally Tiffin has an excellent reputation on warranties.  I know you are out of warranty, but that reputation is a good indication of great factory support.

Jeff, I was using his numbers to determine the 10000# towing capacity.  The trailer is 11200 by his own figures.  It's an accident waiting to happen.  I don't want him behind me coming down the mountain.

I sure wouldn't take that risk either.  That much of an overload is just looking for trouble let along the liability repercussions if involved in an accident.

Yep  same trailer  same pace and I've decided to pass on the Tiffin just not what I want.    Yep  the load capacities are there, that doen't mean it's loaded that heavy.  I know eventually I'm going to buy another RV but why buy a trailer too if I have one.  Bought this one new for less than I could have bought a used 2 yr old 20'  Just a little overkill on purchase.  Made 3 trips frolm St Louis area to Phoenix, one of those to Ontario Ca, without incident and protect 2 Semi drivers on the verde pass that had brake problems. I ddon't rush things when towing the trailer and the PA handles it fine for the way I drive.  If I were going to load it down I'm drive something else.  This is not much different than when I used a dolly for umteen year  pulling the Lincons backwards.

Shayne,

I saw a Tiffin Phaeton for sale in Houston, TX on the PPL website.  It is a 2005, which has the upgraded Cat 350 hp engine which has a lot more torque also than the 330.  Anyway, thought you might like to look at it so HERE is the link.

Dan

Sorry  It's only a 35'  I saw that already  Need larger unit  and probably something with a 4oo  or better for what I want.  The old signature is definitely coming to the fore front.

I have a 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 34', and flat tow a Honda CRV, (w/aux brake at well under 5000 #,) with a Cummins 300 HP, and 5 speed Allison automatic transmission.  On 6% long grades up, it will down shift to 4th but rarely to 3rd, and still pass 18 wheelers.  Plenty of power.

1st.  Sell the Lincoln.
2nd.  Sell the trailer.
3rd.  Buy a Honda CRV, or similar small car that's OK to flat tow.
4th.  Hit the road.

Don

Dan Walters said:
Shayne,

I saw a Tiffin Phaeton for sale in Houston, TX on the PPL website.  It is a 2005, which has the upgraded Cat 350 hp engine which has a lot more torque also than the 330.  Anyway, thought you might like to look at it so HERE is the link.

Dan

Dan

IIRC the last specs I saw on the 350HP C7 Cat the torque is 860ft/lbs, the same as the 300HP and 330HP version.

Sorry ED  We won't sell the Lincolns and I can't stand small cars.  That's why I quit as sales Manager of an auto and RV dealerships years ago.  too me  small cars are a death trap  When I worked for the State of ILL DOT  I was called out on many a wreck and saw 1st hand  the number that passed on in small cars.  NO THANKS  Also My Lovely wife  aka the Boss, was in small cars on 2 occasions, when she was hit and I almost lost her both times..  That was worse than leaving her at the Flying J.  I'm just thankful she survived.  Also her belief is if you are driving a small car and involved in a wreck, the the guy that run into the back of you is driving the same thing, heaven help both of you cuz the only thing between you and him is your rear bumper..  Besides  I'm still hard headed to the fact that I will never buy a foriegh vehicle even if its not assembled in USA.  Many of us are still proud of this country enough to keep our final $ here and not elsewhere.  Stubborn is as stubborn is.  JMHO

Jeff,

You are right about the C7 350 HP CAT engine.  The torque is the same on all three HP versions.  I was talking about the C9 350 HP which has 1100 lb-ft of torque @ 1400 rpm.  I think this was the engine in that Tiffin Phaeton that I was looking at then, but I could be mistaken.  I remember looking it up but can't remember now for sure and the unit has been sold since then so I can't go back and verify that.  Anyway, good point on the CAT engine.  It does make a difference WHICH 350 HP CAT is in the coach.  The C9 is a much stronger engine even though it has the same HP.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom