2004 Southwind 32v front overhead analog TV power cord.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4SterDave

Can anyone tell me how to disconnect  the power cord on the analog TV.  It's not the conventional 2 or 3 pronged cord but has a specially designed plug receptical.
Need to try and hook up an inverter in the overhead cabinets to run sat receiver and TV.  Not upgrading to LED TV or new Direct TV receiver just yet.

under the reply box, attachments and other options....

It is best if you resize your pic to around 800x800

Trying to upload photo.  It's the cord on the left.  Right is for Direct TV receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_0978 2.JPG
    IMG_0978 2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 21
OK, what you have there is a Magic box that DOT requires. It kills power to the TV if the vehicle is in gear.

As far as unplugging it, I'm pretty sure it is booby trapped. I have never been able to get one apart. I'm gonna poke around a bit and see what I can find for you.

Do you think I could just cut the plug end off and replace it with a regu;ar 3 prong?  Wew would never have the need or the capability because of the roof mounted crank dish to watch TV while driving.

you can do that but, it is a regular 2 prong on it now. google it and look at the images that come up.

You can go as far as to put a regular outlet in its place, just cap the 12v wire that goes to your ignition.

Ahh, yes I see that now.  Just a good pull should do it. 
Thanks,

Any idea how many watts the 22"x22" analog TV draws as I need to get an inverter.  Was hoping a
400 watt would do it.

That should draw in the neighborhood of 120 watts. I would check the outlets up there first, one or more may already be wired to your converter/inverter

I don't think it has an inverter.  No switches anywhere indicating it has one.  Especially around the converter and power panel.

Bummer.

Make sure you mount the Inverter near the batteries not in the overhead. But I'm sure you knew that already... ;D

Can't I just tap into one of the 12 or 24gauge wires up there by the TV for the 300 or 400 watt inverter?  They come with a lighter adapter.

Nope. in order for it to work it will need to be near the battery with good size cables on the 12 volt side. Inverters draw lots of power (12v) to make a little 120V Think drawing like a starter on your car. So it needs to be near the battery or have a massive cable run up to the overhead.

4SterDave said:
Can't I just tap into one of the 12 or 24gauge wires up there by the TV for the 300 or 400 watt inverter?  They come with a lighter adapter.

If you do and don't manage to melt those wires and blow some fuses that you may never find. The Inverter will not make enough power for the TV.

Im fuzzy on the exact math but roughly 12v to 120v is a factor of ten a 400 watt inverter will take 40 amps of 12v to supply it. Nothing in your overhead will be more than 10 amps or so.

Even if the inverter does manage to draw enough current to work, it's low voltage cutoff will make it shut down before the battery gets more than slightly discharged.

12 volts is 100 times more sensitive to wire induced voltage loss than 120 volts.  Voltage loss is proportional to the current running through the wire, and 12 volts takes 10 times as much current to make a given amount of power.  It's also 1/10 the voltage, so any voltage loss is 10x as significant than at 120 volts.

Put your inverter close to the batteries ... not in the same compartment due to the battery gasses but on the other side of a wall in an adjacent compartment, and make the battery connection wires short and fat to minimize the voltage loss.  Then run the 120 volt power to wherever you need it.

Lou Schneider said:
Even if the inverter does manage to draw enough current to work, it's low voltage cutoff will make it shut down before the battery gets more than slightly discharged.

12 volts is 100 times more sensitive to wire induced voltage loss than 120 volts.  Voltage loss is proportional to the current running through the wire, and 12 volts takes 10 times as much current to make a given amount of power.  It's also 1/10 the voltage, so any voltage loss is 10x as significant than at 120 volts.

Put your inverter close to the batteries ... not in the same compartment due to the battery gasses on the other side of a wall in an adjacent compartment and make the battery connection wires short and fat to minimize the voltage loss.  Then run the 120 volt power to wherever you need if.

Much better explanation than I could muster. Thanks Lou!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom