2005 Durango Towing 31ft TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

We bought a 2021 Starcraft 26BHS a few weeks ago. It was the biggest TT we could tow under the weight rating of my 5.7 Durango. On the way home after picking it up, I was fighting 18mph winds and moderate hills on the highway. No load, I get 17-18mpg, but I was getting 7mpg against the wind. The following day with 5-8mph wind, I was getting 10mpg. Aside from reduced mileage, I hardly felt it behind me with the Equilizer hitch. Sway was virtually nonexistent and the brakes worked great with my Reese proportional controller. Propane was full, and only 1 battery on the tongue, but since its at a seasonal site with shore power and city water, I didn't have any additional weight from full water tanks.

Some people thought the size was a bit large for my Durango, but I kept it at 60 and planned to leave when the wind was lower. We will be leaving this at a seasonal site, so I am only towing it twice per year, but I am pretty impressed with how it pulled.

Weight is not going to be your problems. Speed is also irrelevant. With this setup you can get into trouble even at 45MPH in the right situation.

The tow rating for your Durango was set using a flatbed trailer with steel or concrete weights on it, i.e. one with little or no wind resistance. A 31 ft. travel trailer has considerably more sail area, both on the front and on the long sides.

An equalizing hitch and sway control will help to an extent, then fail when the side loads exceed their anti-sway capacity. Then the tail wags the dog.

I am aware of the sail effect in cross winds. I learned real quick when we bought our Class C. I admit that its a little different with a TT, but I am intentionally planning when I transport it to and from the site for days with little to no wind. 18mph wind was a little iffy, so I took my time on the 45 mile trip home.

I knew it would be questionable, but after driving it in those conditions, I am not too worried.

The tow rating for your Durango was set using a flatbed trailer with steel or concrete weights on it, i.e. one with little or no wind resistance. A 31 ft. travel trailer has considerably more sail area, both on the front and on the long sides.

An equalizing hitch and sway control will help to an extent, then fail when the side loads exceed their anti-sway capacity. Then the tail wags the dog.
I found documentation that specifies that it was rated for up to a 60 square foot flat front wall; but I understand that a flat trailer is how most trucks are tested for max capacity.

The SAE J2807 test procedures are designed to level the playing field in trailer tow ratings for all vehicles model year 2013 or later.
Indeed, but that standard does NOT address the difference in tow loads for different style trailers. Nor does it address safe handling in adverse conditions. It's all about weight in the tow vehicle and behind it, and the ability to accelerate and climb hills with the towed load.

Cerd said it handled good in an 18 mph wind. Instead of doom and gloom I say congratulations Cerd!

Look, if someone gave me a 31 ft. TT, I'd take it, use it, and enjoy it. But, I'm definitely not in a position right now to get a bigger tow vehicle. So, all my towing would be going slow (50 mph or less) on secondary roads. And, on windy days, I'd be parked.

Cerd said it handled good in an 18 mph wind. Instead of doom and gloom I say congratulations Cerd!
Thanks, Bar!

I wouldn't say it was good in the manner that it was comfortable in that wind. I definitely had to stay aware for side gusts, but I would think that its like that for any towing vehicle. I was just prepared for it after dealing with our class C in 24mph wind before I upgraded the shocks and added a stabilizer.

When we bring it home in September, I will still be checking the weather for low wind. But if I absolutely had to drive it home in 15-20mph winds, I am confident that it won't be too bad (staying under 60 for sure and slower if needed). Before the upgrades on my Class C, it was extremely difficult to stay between the lines with any wind over 12mph. Some trips, I would drop down to 40mph for my own sanity.
Look, if someone gave me a 31 ft. TT, I'd take it, use it, and enjoy it. But, I'm definitely not in a position right now to get a bigger tow vehicle. So, all my towing would be going slow (50 mph or less) on secondary roads. And, on windy days, I'd be parked.
That's pretty much where I am at. The main reason we were able to afford this rig was because we were able to get a longer loan which dropped the payments down to $250/mo. A bigger tow vehicle would mean at least $500/mo for us; but costing us more if we traded one of our current vehicles in and using the truck as a daily driver as well.

The Durango isn't ideal, but it works for what we need it for until we can afford to upgrade the vehicles.

You say you’ll be leaving it on a seasonal site. Many CG will also let you either leave it on the same site for a small monthly fee or they may have a storage area where you could leave it. Just make sure the roof is inspected for cracks in the caulking.

You say you’ll be leaving it on a seasonal site. Many CG will also let you either leave it on the same site for a small monthly fee or they may have a storage area where you could leave it. Just make sure the roof is inspected for cracks in the caulking.
We considered that, but all of their "season sites" are booked. We are leaving it for most of the season, but it will have to be removed by October 1st as the storage option is only applicable to dedicated seasonal sites.

The last time we will use it will be Labor Day weekend, so since we aren't allowed to leave it, we will just save some money and bring it home on Labor Day. We also have to pay monthly instead of seasonal rates since its not a dedicated seasonal site. Bringing it home early saves us some money as opposed to leaving it there for the rest of the month.

You're probably on the edge of safety with that combo, also considering the short wheelbase of the Durango. But you've taken several steps to mitigate the issue... towing only 2x/year, use of a WDH, keeping speeds low, and avoiding windy conditions. Make sure you know your weights also, and increase your Durango's tire pressures based on how much extra weight each axle is carrying. That will also help stabilize the ride while towing. Overall your risk seems very low.

You're probably on the edge of safety with that combo, also considering the short wheelbase of the Durango. But you've taken several steps to mitigate the issue... towing only 2x/year, use of a WDH, keeping speeds low, and avoiding windy conditions. Make sure you know your weights also, and increase your Durango's tire pressures based on how much extra weight each axle is carrying. That will also help stabilize the ride while towing. Overall your risk seems very low.
Yes, I have also been checking the tire pressure. I checked the pressure when I was doing an inspection on the DD before picking up the camper. Fresh Amsoil, clean air filter, checked transmission fluid and coolant, checked tire pressure and bumped up the rears by 5 for the additional load bring it up to 40psi (tires rated for 51 max).

Even when not towing, I check my tire pressure and wear pattern about once a month.

However, at the last tire change, I went from 265/65 back to the OEM size of 245-70 to compare ride quality and efficiency. The 245s give slightly better traction in winter, but the 265s are almost an inch wider and mount so much easier (since I mount and balance my own tires). There is also no difference in fuel economy, so I think I am going to switch back to 265s on my next tire change.

Last edited:
You're thinking is right on with the tires, but do run your combo over a truck scale at some point and get true axle weights. That way you can calculate exactly where your PSI should be for the extra load being carried.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom