2005 Grand Cherokee limited with V8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Jensen

I have done a search and have not found a specific answer.? I have gone to 2 Jeep used car dealerships and I can't get a straight answer.? I have done google searches and found the following.

If you want more flexibility, you will have to buy one of the V8s, which have a Quadra-Trac II two-speed manual transfer case, and a locking low range. Both systems are slightly biased, with 52 percent of the torque normally going to the rear tires and 48 percent to the front.

A new wrinkle is a third four-wheel -drive system. The optional Quadra-Drive II system uses a set of electronic limited-slip differentials (ELSD) at the front, center, and rear of the drive system. ELSD replaces the Vari-Lock progressive axles in the Quadra-Drive system, with quicker response to changing conditions and greater torque capacity, for use with the Hemi engine in particular.

It looks to me the Quadra-Trac II with the two-speed manual transfer case should be towable but I'm not sure.? The four-wheel drive system I'm really not so sure about. The ELSD concern me.

The cogent question is can either one or both of these systems be safely towed??

Don

The instructions for towing the Grand Cherokee 4WD vehicles are provided in the owners manual and they can be towed.  The 2005 owners manual apparently has an error in that it instructs to place the key in the off unlock position.  The ignition switch is on the dash beginning with 2005 and there is no steering wheel lock so the key can be placed in the off position and key removed.  This error was corrected in the 2006 manual. 

Ron said:
The instructions for towing the Grand Cherokee 4WD vehicles are provided in the owners manual and they can be towed.? The 2005 owners manual apparently has an error in that it instructs to place the key in the off unlock position.? The ignition switch is on the dash beginning with 2005 and there is no steering wheel lock so the key can be placed in the off position and key removed.? This error was corrected in the 2006 manual.?

Thanks.  It has been difficult to find a 2005 here north of Houston and when we did, it didn't have the owners manual.

Don

don jensen said:
Thanks.? It has been difficult to find a 2005 here north of Houston and when we did, it didn't have the owners manual.

Don

You might be able to look at a 2006 owners manual and get a copy of the pages on towing.  Meanwhile I will see if I can find a copy of the towing instructions  from a 2005 manual.

Don, look at
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#OPERATE
and
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm and click on "Recreational towing", follow the instructions, except for #7. Disregard the word "unlocked" and just turn the key to the off position and take the key out if desired. I have seen a note that says that if you have an alarm system, you shouldn't remove the key because when you start to tow the car the alarm will go off.

We have a 2005 Laredo with whatever alarm comes with it. I think that a different alarm comes with the better models, or is available as an option. We have towed it about 4,000 miles with the key removed and no problems. Be sure to follow the set up procedure, with the exception of the "unlocked" word.

Tim

Don,

I have emailed you a PDF file containing the towing instructions for the 2005 GC.  Also note what Tim & Jan advised.

To all,

Thanks for the info, it has been very helpful.? We decided to buy a 2005 GC limited that we found through CarMax.? Now we need to find a MH to tow it. I know we are probably doing this backwards but we do have a plan. ;D

Don

Back
Top Bottom