2005 Honda CRV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esim134

Would you buy a 2005 Honda CRV with 160k miles, no ac (compressor), and a small oil leak for $3000? I'm looking for a toad and this came up locally. It does not have any towing equipment so I'd have to have those installed as well. I'm not sure if there is anything else wrong with it, just saw it yesterday. I know Hondas are hardy but is this one worth it investigating further?

My cheapskate senses tingle when I hear those asking prices for a 17 year old used car with fairly high mileage under its belt and non functional a/c.

But, I know these are unusual times, when vehicles are scarce and prices are inflated. Also, CRVs of that vintage are choice toads for 4 wheel down towing.

You'll probably need invest about 3 to $5K for the additional towing equipment, installation, etc. Before pulling the trigger, I'd pay for a mechanical inspection of the car, to make sure there's nothing major going on with it.

Last edited:
I would be reluctant to invest $4k-$5k in towing equipment plus the necessary repairs in an old, high mileage vehicle. Granted a CRV should run for 200k+ miles and is an solid vehicle in most all regards, but it still strikes me as a poor "investment". Especially if you have need of it for more than just as a dinghy (toad). If you can afford more, I'd keep looking. 4-down towable vehicles weren't so rare in the 2010 era, so there are a lot more choices than today. GM, Ford, Honda and Jeep all had multiple offerings.

If there is proof that the Honda recommended service at 100k was performed, only then would I consider it. Even then I would hesitate to spend the money needed to get it ready to tow but JD Powers gives it a value range of $5000-$6000. I towed a 2001, AWD model for about 40k miles and drove it another 167k before trading it. I traded it up to a 2009 but looking back I think that I would have been wiser to keep it longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom