2005 Jayco Seneca HD 34SS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bronn033

Hello,
Newbie here. I currently have a 2005 Jayco Seneca HD 34SS with a battery charging issue. The house batteries will not charge with generator or shore power, but the engine charges them. Batteries are a little over a year old and are on a tender when stored.

It didn't appear the converter box was working, as the fan never spun. I checked all the fuses on the converter box and they were all fine. I eventually replaced the converter box but am still having the same problem.

Of note, we have had issues with the battery disconnect switch and solenoid in the past. The "momentary switch" was bad and caused us to burn out a couple of solenoids before realizing it was a bad switch. The 5 amp fuses on the solenoid have been blowing occasionally since.

Just wondering where I should go next. Appreciate the help.

Get a decent VOM meter and start fo.lowing the wiring. I would suspect a fuse, but without a good meter throwing parts at the situation is only going to cost you more wasted money.

I currently have a 2005 Jayco Seneca HD 34SS with a battery charging issue. The house batteries will not charge with generator or shore power, but the engine charges them. Batteries are a little over a year old and are on a tender when stored.
On some rigs the converter/charger is not wired to charge the chassis batteries, on some it charges them only AFTER the house batteries are charged -- I don't know how yours are wired. So it would be wise to do as donn says and get a multimeter and troubleshoot by checking voltages through the entire path, from battery to converter, which may include some solenoids, perhaps on the firewall, and other equipment. Then, and only then, can you know where to put your money.

bronno33 says its the house batteries that do not charge, and there is no excuse for that on shore or genset power. Diagnosis requires a voltmeter and start tracing from the converter/charger to the batteries to determine where power is lost. Typically the only relay between converter & house battery would be the battery disconnect, so make sure that is on and functional.

bronno33 says its the house batteries that do not charge, and there is no excuse for that on shore or genset power. Diagnosis requires a voltmeter and start tracing from the converter/charger to the batteries to determine where power is lost. Typically the only relay between converter & house battery would be the battery disconnect, so make sure that is on and functional.
sorry for the late reply...i guess emails were going to my junk folder. I will try to trace and see. What do the 5 amp fuses on the battery disconnect do?

The 5 amp fuses are to protect the switching circuit. Usually one on each side of the feed (positive & negative). A blown fuse will prevent the switch from switching power on and off.

If you have replace the disconnect switch and the fuses are blowing, I would suggest to find out why. Be sure you have the correct fuses and that all wiring is tight, insulated and proper.

What switch did you buy for a replacement?

The 5 amp fuses are to protect the switching circuit. Usually one on each side of the feed (positive & negative). A blown fuse will prevent the switch from switching power on and off.

If you have replace the disconnect switch and the fuses are blowing, I would suggest to find out why. Be sure you have the correct fuses and that all wiring is tight, insulated and proper.

What switch did you buy for a replacement?
I will check on the brand...we got it from the dealer so hopefully it is correct. I just happened to notice a blown 5 amp fuse on the switch, but it was functioning properly at the time so I replaced it and didn't think much of it.

Does the converter go through the disconnect switch? Am I right in assuming the 12v should work on shore power with the batteries disconnected?

I will check on the brand...we got it from the dealer so hopefully it is correct. I just happened to notice a blown 5 amp fuse on the switch, but it was functioning properly at the time so I replaced it and didn't think much of it.

Does the converter go through the disconnect switch? Am I right in assuming the 12v should work on shore power with the batteries disconnected?
There are different ways it could be wired. I do not have specific info on your unit. It is always best to confirm what it is doing with a multimeter.

Most likely with your batteries disconnected and the converter ON, the converter will provide 12 volt power to the house. I have never tested my disconnect switch but I do know that power from my converter powers the house when I disconnect the cables off the battery bank. That is not neccessarily how the disconnect switch works in my unit or yours but it will give you some idea of what to look for.

I have also seen wiring designs that allow the converter to maintain a charge to the batteries with the disconnect switch applied. This is helpful when in storage so that you can keep your batteries charged but have no 12 volt power to the house.

Even if a wiring diagram shows a specific design for your model, it is always best to check.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom