2005 journey 36g water heater check valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neub

No water flow thru hot water lines.  After a couple hours got the water heater inlet check valve out and gutted it and reinstalled...no change so it must be the water heater outflow check valve.  Looking at the top of the tank all I see is a nylon elbow coming out of the water heater which is connected to a pex line with a red circle around it.  Does this nylon elbow contain the check valve?  Wanted to ask since I will need to cut the the pex line to get the elbow out along with expending a couple hours time along while sacrificing some skin and blood.  If the elbow does not contain the outflow check valve any idea where it might be?  Thanks, randy

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I'm not familiar with Winnebago plumbing, but the heater check valve is typically part of the fitting that screws into the tank outlet, or immediately adjacent to it.  The few I've seen are slim and not readily identifiable as a check valve (perhaps why they don't hold up very well).

It is likely right behind the nylon/plastic elbow and screwed into the tank itself (heavy pipe threads!). It may not appear to be that way at first glance but... The only alternative is to have and external valve a bit further into the hot water line, perhaps connected to the winterizing valve itself. (Maybe less skinned knuckles that way??) This valve is needed when winterizing to prevent filling the tank with antifreeze.

Don't forget to check that valve itself, they have been known to have the handle turn with turning the "guts".

Neub said:
......Looking at the top of the tank all I see is a nylon elbow coming out of the water heater which is connected to a pex line with a red circle around it.  Does this nylon elbow contain the check valve?......
I would be amazed if the ell (elbow) had a check valve, that?s highly improbable. Have you looked at your plumbing diagram?

On our 2004 Journey 36G  the check valves are located at two different places. One is at the hot water heater, the other is located behind the water control panel in the water compartment. Access is by taking the drawers out under the TV area and looking down into the compartment under them. It's not easy to get to, but it can be done.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

I accessed mine from the compartment where you connect your hose. I unscrewed the steel plate on top of where you hook the hose and took the plate out and reached in that way.

Isn't the check valve in the water control panel the one for the city inlet?  If so, that is NOT  Neub's problem. He needs to access the water heater outlet valve.

The check valve in the water compartment is for the water heater. The city water check valve is connected to the hose connection just inside the steel plate. the water heater check valve is farther into the basement area. It's pretty hard to reach from the outside. You have to have lots of agility to reach it from either position.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

I see you only have 12 posts.  Did you buy this winterized?  Did you confirm that there is any water in the heater?  Did you put in the plug?? 

Only have 12 posts since i dont post unless i have personal experience solving a problem on a specfic yesr and model.  Have owned this unit for 4 years and i winterize by blowing the lines out and putting antifreeze in the traps. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Indiana Journey was right on the mark!  I waited until Winnebago responded to my email request on where the the water heater outflow check valve was at since I couldn?t spot it in the plumbing diagram before I continued to tear into things.  Winnebago sent back a pdf with a red line drawn to the check valve.  It is behind the water panel and about 30? in...was just able to reach it with one arm after I cut a couple of other water lines out of the way.  Replaced it and used shark bites to reconnect the two cut lines that I had to move out of the way.  Hopefully no more cold water complaints from the DW on our next outing. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom