2005 Sightseer 29R Instrument Cluster - Help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icetman

Hi all, new here so hope this is the correct location for this question.

Have a 2005 Sightseer V10 workhorse. Getting the RV ready fir a trip to MI from TX, while driving it to fill up the tanks I noticed the speedometer  has not working. All the other gauges are working (RPM, Fuel, Temp, Battery, Oil pressure and mileage and trip number turn).  Do I need to order a whole new instrument cluster or can I fix just the speedometer or is it the electronic connector at the transmission?wheel?  If need to order a new one where can I get it from with overnight shipping, leaving in 4 days.

Also anther question, can the speed governor be removed or increased? Currently set at 75 would like to have it at least 85. Professional Alaska OTR truck driver so I can handle her. :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Todd

Attachments

• image0000001.jpg
    image0000001.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to the Forum.

I am sure that you will get some specific help with the speedometer.

Here is an idea for a very quick alternative solution till you get it fixed.

Many GPS displays will show you your speed in case you really need to be precise.

Also just try to drive at a reasonable speed till you get it fixed.

I thought I would mention this because I did have a GPS with this function in the past.

Thank you Bill, yes Sir thought of that as well. The upgraded stereo system w/GPS I installed has this feature but didn't really want to look down at the radio each time going down the road.

Also anther question, can the speed governor be removed or increased? Currently set at 75 would like to have it at least 85. Professional Alaska truck driver so I can handle her. :)

Icetman. You have either a Workhorse with a V8 Chevy engine OR a Ford with a V10.
I don't care how good a driver you think you are, that motorhome should never be driven 85 mph.

I was going to post that also but did not want to sound like I was scolding a new member.

It is however true and when driving an RV just take it slow and enjoy life.

First off it is a V-10 Triton WORKHORSE Chassis, says it CLEARLY on the paperwork. Now if it is a typo so be it but that is what it says!

2nd, I have driven MILLIONS (3.7 to be exact) of miles in big trucks carrying all kinds of loads, big, small, oversize, overweight, double trailers, etc, all over the USA, Canada, Mexico and Alaska with ZERO accidents or damage to cargo and ZERO tickets in some of the WORST weather conditions this world has to offer. 85 is nothing for this RV on nice dry beautiful days. Secondly I will not be driving it at 85 but like in big trucks it is nice to have the little extra speed for a run up to a major hill where SAFE or if a passing situation that may arise!  75 for a top speed is just fine, just do not want it topping out at 75.

Thank you for the driving directions thou, papa! lol ;)

If it's a Workhorse there is a known problem with the Actia dash gauges although loss of the speedometer was not one of them.

So which do you have....Ford V10 or Chevy 8.1?

V-10 Triton Workhorse Chassis (per paperwork). Attached is a pic of the instrument cluster.

Attachments

• image0000001.jpg
    image0000001.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 20
First off it is a V-10 Triton WORKHORSE Chassis
Either someone put erroneous information on the paperwork, or someone shoveled a Ford V-10 Triton engine into a Workhorse chassis, which was originally a Chevy chassis. My Ford F-150 pickup has a V-8 Triton engine, and my first class A motorhome had a Ford F-53 chassis with a Ford V-10 Triton engine. The usual Workhorse chassis had a Chevy heritage.

So your paperwork might say that, but...

Can we have PICs/descriptions of the front suspension/engine?  Would really be different if workhorse chassis with the Ford V-10.

There is a V-10 Triton sticker on the side of the RV and the tag says manufactured by FORD. So doubt thre was ever a Chevy engine in it. Not at home,  will post when I get to the paperwork.

Anyway,  any ideas on the CLUSTER replacement?

That does not look like the instrument cluster in my 2005 Workhorse motorhome, so it must be a Ford chassis.

It is a Ford cluster,  just drop the workhorse wording. Will show paperwork once I get home. All the pics I have are to large to post but the numbers on the cluster are: XCEF-10E853 FORD

VIN plate - 2005 Winnie Sighteer 29R manufactured by FORD

I would not mess with the governor. 85 is "Feed the bears" speed.

Try shutting off and restarting.. Believe it or not with today's computerized vehicles. sometimes 'Reboot" is all that is needed to fix.

otherwise there is a speed sensor that may have either failed or been disconnected. Beyond that I can not say much.  Old days it was a cable but today it is a hall effect sensor usually on the transmission output shaft.

He said the odometer works. It's not a speed sensor, or ECM issue. It's the cluster. Others have had the same problem. I replied to the OP at his IRV2 post with a link to a thread where others have had the same problem and fixed it.

I found one off of RockAuto adjusted and calibrated for $220 (+ $300 core which I will get back) arriving today so will have it installed for the trip. Thanks to everyone for the help it was much appreciated! These are very hard to find, matter of fact according to Ford they no longer make them, they have been discontinued and if you happen to find a used one they are off the F-650 F53 chassis series trucks.

The only other option I found was to send in the unit to a company that will repair them and they will add the mileage and calibrate the unit. There were 3 sites on-line that I found that will do these, could be more.

So there is still hope for others if this problem arises.

*Also for the workhorse wording I had in my original message, everyone was correct my chassis is not a workhorse (F53 chassis), the dashboard area unit is called workhorse on the paperwork, that was what I was seeing when I looked of the info for the cluster. Thanks for everyone there for that information.

A 2005 RV going 85 mph.  ;D ;D ;D  Please post it on YouTube, we all enjoy watching all the way until the outcome. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom