2005 Vortec 8.1 oil use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

For those of you with the big Vortec 8.1 engine, how often do you change oil and how much oil do you add between changes. Also it seems some of the guys that do the oil change aren't sure if the 8.1 takes 6 or 7 quarts. The last time I changed the oil they put in 7 quarts. At least that's what they charged me for.

It depends on which filter you use, there is a 1/2 quart, a 1 quart and a 1.5 quart filter that will fit. I use the 1 quart WIX 51060 As to use between changes mine with just under 100,000 miles burns about a quart every 1,600 miles

I've changed my own oil and filter every 3,000 miles for the past 97, 000 miles since it was new.
I put in 7 quarts and usually add about a half quart between changes.

3000 mile oil changes. i add a pint in between. 67k. 6 quarts is about a pint under full will the shorty filter.

Sounds like my usage is similar. It's been 5,700 miles since the last change and I've added two quarts. It's still down but less than a quart.

Didn't know about the different size filters. What are the benefits of a larger filter?

Sounds like my usage is similar. It's been 5,700 miles since the last change and I've added two quarts. It's still down but less than a quart.

Didn't know about the different size filters. What are the benefits of a larger filter?
The primary advantage is larger filters have more capacity to trap and store contaminants between changes. When the filter fills up a bypass valve opens to allow unfiltered oil to flow around the clogged filter. While not good it's better than letting a clogged filter starve the engine of oil.

I generally use the largest filter in the family that will fit. Smaller filters are used where frame or ground clearance issues don't allow a larger one.

As Lou said, the bigger filter can trap more gunk before a change is needed. I've also heard it claimed that the larger filter helps the oil run cooler (more oil circulating in the system), but I don't know if thatis factual. Or significant if it is.

If you are changing at relatively low mileage, e.g. 3000 miles, the volume of the filter isn't important - the smaller one is fine. And I suppose the larger sizes might be better as the engine gets older (in miles) and potentially lets more soot get into the crank case oil. I had an 8.1L in a Workhorse W22 for 5 years and changed oil annually, with mileage anywhere in the 5000-7500 range. I mostly used the 1 qt size. I don't recall using any oil between changes, but I traded it at 50k miles.

Well, having parked my RV in it's summer spot, I see that my mileage on the last oil change is going to be 4100 miles. I added about 1/2 quart before I started west from Arkansas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom