2005 Winnie Vectra Engine Battery Replacement Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Recently, through rookie owner ignorance, allowed the two engine batteries on my RV to be fully discharged which I believe damaged them. They are still starting the engine but it cranks slower.

Plan is to remove them and take them for load testing and replace if needed. I have learned not to make any assumptions re: the electrical systems on the RV so asking now if there are any special considerations or watch outs. Unless otherwise directed the coach would remain on 20a. shore power while the engine batteries were out.

thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN

thx for replies. yes to pics. I have a battery tender but if the batteries are damaged, which is likely given to complete discharge, the battery tender won't fix it. I actually have a tender and after learning the RV engine batts would discharge over a few weeks I've been using one. However, even fresh off the tender the engine crank is slow which is why i think the batts are toast.

Just fyi, my original OEM Freightliner Alliance brand chassis batteries lasted 11.5 years. Since they stood up so well I replaced them with 2 new Freightliner Alliance batteries in July 2016:

EPM-AE1231MF 1125CCA-STUD GRP31 (List $167.88) Price $114.65ea

from my local Freightliner dealer.

One deep discharge isn't enough to cause a noticeable drop in performance unless they were already weak. A battery tender doesn't have the guts to recharge a dead battery, I would try an automotive charger that can supply a proper absorb voltage that will restore a full charge before I'd pass judgment on it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Another vote per Chris's recommendation - replace them with Alliance
Just fyi, my original OEM Freightliner Alliance brand chassis batteries lasted 11.5 years. Since they stood up so well I replaced them with 2 new Freightliner Alliance batteries in July 2016:

EPM-AE1231MF 1125CCA-STUD GRP31 (List $167.88) Price $114.65ea

from my local Freightliner dealer.
Same experience here with these batteries.

Forget load testing yours - replace them. FYI - with your chassis batteries disconnected your steps might not work.

Back
Top Bottom