2005 Winnie Vectra weird repeating noise when rear tires parked on boards to raise the rear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Rookie owner. Attempting to set it up at home with slides out. Leveling system notes if area is slightly sloped to have front at low end so jacks are raising the front to achieve level.

In our home parking space slightly lower (1-1/2 to 2") rear of coach is unavoidable so I put down 2x6 boards for rear tires to sit on. After I did this and coach was turned off some strange repeating noise was heard, seemed to be coming from the front suspension area.

Drove the coach off the rear tire boards and noise stopped.

Anyone know what was going on?

mark in MN

I don't think a 1.5-2.0" difference is enough to compensate with boards. Many people would call a mere 1.5" difference over 35 ft to be "level".

Regardless, I can't guess why there would be a noise. Certainly boards vs a similar height difference from natural terrain can't make a difference. Well, maybe one thing: the jacks still have to reach the actual ground, so if you put the tires on boards but no boards under the jacks to extend a bit further than if the ground were uniformly higher there. But so what?

Does the coach have air leveling or hydraulic (I thought all older Vectras were hydraulic only). Air suspension has an auxiliary compressor hat might cycle repeatedly, but not if it's hydraulic jacks only.

Last edited:
Gary; thx for reply. jacks are hydraulic and they were not engaged when the noise was present. Engine was off.

I can skip the boards under the rear tires but I'd still like to know what was making the noise. With all tires on the ground no noise was present.

ps. thx for all your advice.

So the noise starts as soon as you drive the rear wheels onto the boards and shut the engine off? I'd want to know what that was as well!

I'll ditto Rene's question about the type of noise.

closer to birds singing than jackhammer - and it was repeating on a cycle rate of several seconds. I first thought it was the satellite antenna servo searching back and forth but then realized it was not from above.

I pulled the coach forward a couple feet to get the rear tires off the boards and no noise.

Your going to have to find someone with perfect hearing and have them try to pinpoint the exact point of origin. My DW would be a good one to do that. She can hear a pin drop on carpet.

Happened again when parked on level asphalt. definitely from the front suspension area. I think Domo has the correct diagnosis. a hour later the front air was down more than 20 lbs while the rear was still over 100.

John; thx for comment. I will keep an eye on it. What was the cost to replace the bags?

Back
Top Bottom