2006 Honda Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okaybee

Hi I am new to this forum and want to know it anyone else has purchased a 2006 Honda Pilot. We purchased one last November specifically to tow behind our motorhome. We purchased Demco towbar and base plate and necessary light kit. We called the dealer to see if they could install it for us.  They informed us that Honda has issued a bulletin that says 06 Pilot cannot be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. Even though it states in the owners manuel that it can be towed behind a motorhome and we were told by the salesman that it could be towed and the bulletin was dated August 05. Now we are going to have to try and get our money back and purchase something else.  Needless to say this has not been a good experience with HONDA! :mad: Has anyone else had similar problem what did you do to resolve it.

Here's the verbage directly from the Honda website"
TOWING YOUR HONDA BEHIND A MOTORHOME

For your Civic, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 mph or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because American Honda has not conducted formal towing tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.

We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by towing on all four tires, or "motorhome towing", of  Honda  automobiles with either a manual or an automatic transmission, as long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.

Manual Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
Release the parking brake.
Shift the transmission to Neutral.
Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (I) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.

If  a Honda  automobile with an automatic transmission is to be towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
Start the engine.
Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all positions. For example (P,R,N,D,2,1).
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY(I) so that the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

Extended Towing: If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures. You should repeat the procedure at least every 8 hours. (When you stop for fuel, etc.)

NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (I) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.

CAUTION:
SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

NOTICE:
Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer.

If you tow a Honda  vehicle with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Although experience has shown that the  Honda  transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed" on all four tires, American Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.

For more information about towing your vehicle, check your Owner's Manual or contact us.

This is not to say that they haven't issued a bulletin to the contrary, but it may help you in your negotiations with the dealer (or Honda) if you relied on their published information to make your purchase decision, i.e. "Your literature said it could be towed 4-down". You may have legal recourse.

I tow a 2004 MDX Acura same platform as the Pilot. On the 2006 model Honda/Acura vehicles the Book still states that they can be towed on four down. You are correct Honda has issued a bulletin that only the CRV can be towed 4 down none of the other models are.

Don?t believe what the salesman tells you they just don?t know. I was told the book is wrong. I was also told that nothing has changed in the mechanics but Honda is backpedaling because of too many problems caused by improper towing and subsequent damage to the transmission.

I know someone who is towing a 2006 MDX without any problems so far but Honda will not be responsible for any damage to the transmission. I wouldn?t tow one without Honda?s blessing. Good luck in sorting this out. I love my MDX but I will have to find something else when I trade unless Honda changes their tune.

Les

Hi Okaybee,

I was at a neighborhood party a few weeks ago and the talk among the guys was about Honda's change of policy in towing their vehicles. For 2006, the only "officially" certified Honda is the CRV. Nobody is sure why the change was made but one individual said he heard Honda had to replace a LOT of transmissions.

Okaybee,

I think they changed the transmission either in 2005 or 2006.  In my 2004 Acura MDX (actually a Honda Pilot with frills) there is a button on the lower part of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel.  This Button says, "VTM-4 LOCK".  If you do NOT have this button then it's a different transmission/drive train.

JerryF

Since my last posting I have been in contact with the dealer where we bought our Pilot. He assures us that we will not be out any money and they will buy our Honda. He also stated that if we want the CRV he will sell it to us at his cost.  They are also going to pay any freight and restocking charges on base plate we have to return.  We are going to San Antonio, TX on Thursday to meet with owner of dealership (Gunn Honda)  I have to say they have been more than helpful in this matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom