2006 Southwind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlyon

Water heater switches inside coach.  Cant they just say on or off.  They have to say zero/"o" or a straight line up and down.  What does that mean?  Which was is on and which was is off??

Same feeling here Tom,  Try it and find out.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Think each and everyone of us have spent a whole buch of time pondering what this is , that is, how does this and how does that work.  If you have manuals it's a wonder what you can learn and then be confused about.  At least that's my observation. Good Luck  and many times when asking questions here a Pic will jog someones memory and they say heck I got that    it does so and so.    Good luck

Shayne said:
.... many times when asking questions here a Pic will jog someones memory and they say heck I got that it does so and so.

Good point Shayne. All too often I try unsuccessfully to explain things in words when a photo would do a much better job.

Can't they just say on or off.  They have to say zero/"o" or a straight line up and down.  What does that mean?  Which was is on and which was is off??

Those are the international standard icons for an On/Off rocker switch, though it makes little visual sense to me either. I've heard that it represents a binary 0 or 1 state, which is technically fine but meaningless to most of the world.  0 = OFF and 1 = ON. 

If it's a push button combined On/Off, the two icons are merged, i.e. a 1 overlying the 0, indicating (I guess) that the switch is both On and Off.

The  benefit of using the international icon symbols is that they "read" equally well for non-English speakers.  Unfortunately, that sometimes means that nobody understands what the switch is for.  Europeans seem to be better versed than Americans in this stuff, though. Perhaps because they have dealt with numerous languages in a relatively small geographic area for centuries, whereas Americans have been uniformly English speakers until recent years.

That soundds about right and par for the course,  Guess they thing they're golfers instead of Motorhome builders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom