2006 winnie aspect slight exterior discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

new to me 2006 Aspect.  Overall VGC.

Previous owner had a College decal on the living area slide out which he removed.  The area where the decal was is now "whiter" than the remainder of the exterior panel for the slideout.

Overall the entire rig could be brightened up.  what is the correct cleaner for such an effort and is there one that doesn't require elbow grease?  I suspect polishing compound with an random orbital polisher would do the job but that's a very labor intensive exercise for such a large vehicle.

what would be a reasonable charge for someone to do it for me?

thx for anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN

Hi Mark, the old standby is a mild rubbing compound (lots of work) but there might be easier solutions out there now. I'm going to leave your post here in the Winnebago board because Winnie's sidewall might be different than other manufacturers.

I've paid a low price of $140 or $150 to have our 40' coach washed and waxed to about $450 so I'm going to guess $10 to $15 a foot but it's highly variable. After our trip to Alaska we stopped by Forest City to have some work done and they buffed out our clearcoat which I scratched up cleaning off the Alaska Highway mess. I don't remember what the charge was but you might ask them if they still do that kind of work -or- call CDI in Forest City (the full body paint contractor.)

Removing enough surface to get it bright again is not a trivial effort, even with modern polishes.  Lot's of elbow grease and a buffer.  I doubt if any detailer would tackle it for less than $1000, nor would they guarantee the results.  You probably have other "factory" decals on a 2006 as well, and those would have to be removed and new ones applied when done. If new ones are available at all.

Frankly, the viable options are:
1. Paint the coach
2. Put another decal over the bright spot

Thx for replies.  I like the "new decal" idea if I can find one large enough.  The color of the rig looks fine overall if I can mask the whiter area.

You can get a vinyl sticker made with any design and size you want. These days, most sign shops can make them, or a vehicle wrap shop. There are also many ready-made styles available on Ebay and Amazon, as well as make-to-order vendors doing business there.

I think Gary be right about the practical options but you could look on marine sites (West Marine, etc.) for gelcoat restoration products, buy two or three different ones and try them in a small area that wouldn't be very noticeable. That would be an interesting experiment.

I ordered a Meguiar's Marine/RV finish kit.  I have had good luck with their products in the past and reviews were excellent.  I will report here on my results.  thx again for advice.

mark in MN

Back
Top Bottom