2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

Am considering getting a 2007 4WD Tahoe to replace my Toad (Honda CRV) and primary car (2001 Deville).  Will appreciate anyone's experience and input.

Was reading the Towing Instructions in the Owner's Manual and the final step in the setup procedure was to turn the Key (ignition) 0ff.  Seems like this would engage the Steering Wheel Lock.  Am confused.

I tow a 2001 Tahoe 4 wheel drive with good results.  Putting the transfer case in neutral, putting it in park and turning off the key is an easy task.  there is no steering lock on my Tahoe, so the 2007 may not have one either. Milage does not register on my Tahoe when towing, but I know some newer units do register milage.

Our Suburban is the same procedure as Caltex' Tahoe, although the Burb racks up miles when towed.

"Off" is not  necessarily the same as "Lock" - check to see how many key positions your Tahoe has. And it's easy enough to see if the wheel is in fact locked in the Off position - just try to turn the wheel.

We completely remove the key from our Suburban. As Caltex says, there is no mechanical lock on the steering on his Tahoe, our Suburban or Terry Brewer's Envoy. 2007 models might be different.

Tom said:
Our Suburban is the same procedure as Caltex' Tahoe, although the Burb racks up miles when towed.
[Is there any way to stop it from recording mikeage.  If the key is turned off how does it log mileage???/quote]

Standard chevrolet igintion switch has the following positions, listed in order starting with fully counter clociwise (Anti-clockwise for those who speak real English)

ACC(essory)  LOCK  OFF  ON  START

In all cases the key can be removed in LOCK, in some LOCK & OFF and in still others ANY position (Mine is an ANY)

Here is the procedure I follow on my FWD Chevy. with Remco Axel Lock (You don't need to do all of this)

I pull up to MH and put in park, engine running, do my tow-bar hookup, crank wheel right put in Nuteral (Since it's not going anywhere hooked to the MH witha tow bar rated for 2.5 times the vehicle's weight) unlock axel, return wheel to "Forward" turn OFF and remove key, place in park.  NOTE: you can not LOCK the ignition in nuteral, only OFF it

One of the differences between OFF and LOCK is if OFF you need no key to start it

Of course this won't help a theif, since the axel is unlocked

If the key is turned off how does it log mileage???

Presumably, that part of the dash is always powered. Why the Suburban is different from the Tahoe and Envoy in this respect is a mystery.

In some GM cars you have to pull a fuse to deactivate the odometer; in others it is off when the key is off. But I have no idea why they ave two different schemes - could be as simple as two different engineers (or engineering groups) doing dashboard designs.  Maybe the "truck group" and the "car group".

Do you have to pull a fuse in a 2006 or 2007 Tahoe in order for the Odometer not to log mileage????

Back
Top Bottom