2007 Itasca Meridian Hot Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kewlbreeze

OK - after reading the thoughts of others wiser than me on a Tankless system - I am going back with a traditional Suburban unit.

Has any one replaced a unit on a Meridian? Where is the access to the back of the unit? Is it under the vanity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

I think that's a very good decision. Access for the Vectra/Horizon is underneath the heater, I've always paid for someone else to deal with it. From what I understand, there's precious little space available to work behind the unit.

John,

At lunch today I went home and looked under the unit - and it does appear there are screws on the plate the heater sits on. I believe you will be 100% correct in there will be very little space.

I come from the sailboat world where things are always in the most impossible spot....so I am not surprised.

Thanks for the heads up - much appreciated. I will keep you posted on any success or failure that befalls me.

The other impossible mission is to replace the inverter/charger (Dimension). It sits in a bracket mounted on a side wall. Most of the bolts that hold the unit in the brackets are easy - but the one in the back will be a real buggerbear.....(technical term).

Dennis

Ah, a fellow sailor. We lived on a Northstar 40 ketch for over six years and spent 15 months cruising the eastern Caribbean and spent hurricane season in Venezuela. There is no such thing as a 90 degree corner in a sailboat

Friend had a Morgan Out Island 41 that cruised with us on several passages, another friend had a Morgan 50-something. The fifty footer plus had the space of a dance hall. Our Northstar was designed by Sparkman and Stevens, decent cruiser in 20 knots of wind.

Steps:

Turn off the water. (Pump or city)
Drain the tank.
Turn off the LP gas
On the front side of the water heater remove the gas connection and of the screws around the perimeter of the water heater.
Pull the water heater out a couple of inches, or until you get resistance.
this may give you enough room in the back to get at the wiring & plumbing.

I was lucky. My water heater had been removed before and they added flexible lines. Something like the ones in the attached picture. If you don't already have them consider adding them for the next time you have to take it out.

It's amazing how little the water heater weighs when empty.

Attachments

• F7CF9E7C-6B17-422F-98F6-9CFE9CBD3ECE.jpeg
    F7CF9E7C-6B17-422F-98F6-9CFE9CBD3ECE.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
Sooo I was under the RV yesterday changing out the starter and looked over at the area where the WH lives and lo and behold - there is an access panel on the bottom of the box holding the WH - there are a bunch of torx head screws and then the panel just pulls out revealing the back of the WH.......I was AMAZED!!!! So I will be able to get to the back of the WH and loosen all the connections. A tip of the hat to WB for placing that panel in just the right location.

8Muddypaws - your idea is a VERY good one and I will follow thru on it.
Thanks to both you and John!!!

Dennis

John,

Off course here - but the Morgan 60 was not designed by Charlie Morgan (not part of the Out Island Design) - before we bought the boat I called him and he was typical Charlie - brusk - saying he had nothing to do with that design. She was a weatherly boat for a schooner and she would haul the mail on a broad reach. The most amazing thing about her was when we first bought here in Annapolis and sailed her to Houston. We hit the Atlantic coming out of Beaufort on a beautiful July 5th day - perfect weather - well - till later that day when the storms starting rolling off the Piedmonts.....45-50 knot winds for 6 days with 10-12 ft seas right on the nose.....in all of that time - with us going against the wind and current (motoring - it was a delivery after all - I had to get back to work) we never took green water across the deck. At one point getting around Frying pan Shoals we were very near the Gulf Stream at that point and we were doing about 2 knots with the wind, waves and current fighting us ever step of the way - for most of the day - until we cleared the shoal and turned towards the shore.....it was rough 6 days till we got to Florida coast - really smooth sailing all the way down to Key West - spent two days there and on a beautiful day we set out for Galveston roads. Insurance required we stay within 90 miles of shore so we had to head towards Tampa. Thinking this part of the trip we would be on a broad reach headed home.....WRONG. A front came thru and for 3 days we had 30-40 knot winds on the nose with 8-10 ft seas......arrrrgh. Finally the front passed and weather cleared - I mean cleared - no wind - the Gulf like glass with 80-95 degree temps - sweltering hot .......from Mobil to Galveston no wind.....when we turned to head into Galveston we got wind and sailed home to Seabrook, TX. 17 day trip with most of it in storms. I learned to love that boat. She never let us down and was always a joy to sail. The two of us could handle the boat with no issues. She was wonderful. Sold her - one of the saddest days of my life - I regret it to this day!!!!! I think they only made 11 of those boats and I think there are only 5 left. One is in pieces in Florida, one in the Caribbean, one in Thailand and my old boat in South America..... I cannot find the others.

Anyway - I promise to go back to RVing now - but your boat brought back all those old memories....

I apologize to those not interested in sailing....sailors love to tell their stories.

Dennis

Yup, apologies to the non-sailors looking in but actually many RVers are ex-sailors. Our Horizon is our land yacht, left is still Port and right is Starboard.

My favorite sailing story happened in inland California. Really!

A very windy place with shallow enough water and not enough fetch so it stays flat. Great place for speed trials. 50MPH wind with gusts up to 70. I was clocked by a radar gun at 47MPH on a broad reach. I was using a 5m race sail and a custom made 8' board. (A sane person would have used a 3.2m sail). I did not win! It was the only time I was able to use that board in California. It was made for the Columbia River Gorge.

I just gave away almost all my windsurfing gear. I kept 'that' board.

Sailors are everywhere.....

I did some windsurfing when they first came out in San Francisco Bay area - even then- on those big fat floaters - we could make those things go like a bat out of H_ll. But nothing like you did - wow that is low flat flying.....

I did not keep up the the technology - it moved faster than my pocketbook would allow at the time. It is something I wish I had stayed on top of.

Life in the fast lane for sure!!

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom