2008 itasca 32h slide problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outlander400

Opened the drivers side slide (the full length one that has three slides) and was watching forward until the slide was fully extended. No warning lights, no unusual sounds. When finished looked aft into the bedroom and the bedroom slide had only opened about 4 inches.  The slide was at an awkward angle.  Retracted the slide and forward two slides retracted completely but the aft slide did not retract from the 4 inches that it had initially opened to.
Went underneath and determined the motor is getting power and runs...the gear moves about 1/2 inch then stops.  This occurs for both retracting and extending attempts.  I disengaged the motor gear on the frozen slide and used a wrench to start to close the slide completely.  Very slow going. Every turn of the wrench only moves the slide about 1/8th inch and you have to put a lot of force on the wrench.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks

I'm guessing this is a rack & pinion geared slide rather than hydraulic or one of the other types?  Few of us are familiar with the construction details of every make & model. Can you tell us more about what slide mechanism you are dealing with?  Also, is it a full wall slide? I couldn't tell if the bedroom was a slide of its own or just the far end of a single long slide.

At a guess, the motor drives a long shaft that engages two or more gears and one of the gears isn't moving.  That could be either a broken shear pin where the gear connects to the shaft, or the gear somehow disengaged from the rack. Once the slide cants sideways, it probably jammed too much to move under motor power. If a full wall slide, there are probably multiple motors, which have to be synchronized.

When you used the wrench, did the out-of-align condition correct somehow? Slide fully retracted? 

There are two slides.  The full wall slid with three tracks and a smaller bedroom slide.  The bedroom slide is fine.  Two of the three wall slides are fine.  They are electric slides.  The motor has a small star gear on the shaft that runs on a flat notched track on the slide.  I can hear the motor try to turn.  The gear does move but only slightly (1/8 inch).  There is a lever on the motor to disengage it so you can use a 3/4 wrench to manually move the slide.  It is VERY hard to turn.  Nothing appears to be obstructing the track or the star gear on the motor.

Got it into the shop and issue resolved and learned a few diagnostic tricks for future reference.
Problem:  Sheared Motor shaft pin ($12).  Tech went underneath and watched motor as someone hit the button.  Could see shaft head turning but the gear wasn''t.  Had to remove motor and when pulled out could see the shaft pin had sheared.

note: my efforts to manually crank the slide in were wasted... I was turning the motor but the gear couldn't turn. Apparentley it is always really hard to manually crank the slide in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom