2011 Fleetwood Storm Fridge Not Getting Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all. We bought a 2011 Storm 28MS and ha e used the fridge a couple times. We have been on the road for about 28 hours with the fridge on auto but primary running on propane. Suddenly we smelled propane and the fridge is not on at all. The buttons for power and propane do not light up. The light inside does not come on either. We are newbs!! Any and all help is welcome!! Thanks!

Are you sure that you smelled propane and not ammonia? I don't know the make or model of your fridge but one thing that can cause all 12 VDC power to drop off is the thermal switch. On my Dometic fridge the thermal switch is under the outside access panel on the right side on the silver stack. It's just above the fire box with two wires connected to it. In between the two wire connections is a small reset button. If that popped pressing the button will restore the power to the fridge. However, there was a reason that it overheated and tripped the thermal switch. On mine if was a failed cooling unit that caused the overheat and tripped thermal switch and we smelled ammonia. Resetting the thermal switch restored power but just for a very short time. I replaced my cooling unit.

Are you sure that you smelled propane and not ammonia? I don't know the make or model of your fridge but one thing that can cause all 12 VDC power to drop off is the thermal switch. On my Dometic fridge the thermal switch is under the outside access panel on the right side on the silver stack. It's just above the fire box with two wires connected to it. In between the two wire connections is a small reset button. If that popped pressing the button will restore the power to the fridge. However, there was a reason that it overheated and tripped the thermal switch. On mine if was a failed cooling unit that caused the overheat and tripped thermal switch and we smelled ammonia. Resetting the thermal switch restored power but just for a very short time. I replaced my cooling unit.
image.jpg
Hmm I’m not seeing a reset button. Am I just missing it?

Your fridge probably doesn't have one. Please identify the fridge make & model so we don't have to throw out irrelevant guesses.

In any case, your fridge has lost all 12v power, so nothing will work. Check the 12v power to the crcuit board (in that black box at lower left). If you have 12v. the fridge has shut itself down internally (rare in most models). If no 12v there, start tracing back to the power source to determine why.

No 12VDC. Then follow back to the fuse box. It's porridge you simply blew a fuse. The refer requires 12VDC for anything to work.

That fridge is exactly the same as my fridge...the one I just recently replaced the cooling unit on and it does have the thermal switch right where I said. However, your fridge has the recall fire shield at the lower right that is covering the stack and the thermal switch. I can see the wires that go to the switch. Take that shield off on the lower right. the switch will be low on the stack and have two push-on wires. The reset button is between those two wire connections. If that button does reset your power it will be short lived as something else would have caused the over-temp (if the button is popped). I guess there could be a defective thermal switch but I have not seen one.

On the lower left is a black box which is the power module (circuit board). That white plastic block near the bottom right corner of the black box, with the yellow and black wires is your 12 VDC input. Check that with a meter for 12+ VDC...no voltage there and there won't be any DC voltage in the fridge anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom