2012 Dodge Ram integrated brake controller fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skysnake22

Hello! After scaring the *^#% out of myself towing our 40’ fifth wheel and not being able to stop, I need to replace the factory integrated brake controller with a Prodigy P3. We have spent over $1000 chasing possible brake fixes in the trailer, and to make a long story short, the trailer’s brakes are perfect -like new, according to the service manager today. He said the brake problem is 100 percent in the brake controller.

Here’s my question: the service manager said I need to have the Dodge dealer reprogram the TIPM computer to deactivate the integrated brake controller before we install the Prodigy. After calling every RAM dealer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, no one in service knows what I’m talking about or wants to give me the time of day. Has anyone been down this road before? We were hoping to take a Fall trip to the East Coast, but I don’t feel safe towing this new (to us) 2018 Keystone Avalanche.

Thank you very much for any ideas or advice!

Chris

I'm thinking that the reason they want you to reprogram the TIPM to deactivate it is because they are assuming that you will leave it on. I don't see why you can't disconnect the factory unit and use the P3.

Unplug the factory unit, buy the small adapter for the P3 and plug it in it should work.

I don't know the answer to your question, but why not just have the integrated controller repaired? Any competent Ram dealer can do it. Before I hauled it to the dealer, I'd clean all of the contacts on the connecter, and then measure voltage on Light Electric and Heavy Electric and see what the output is. Check ground continuity as well. You may be a dirty or corroded connector away from the ITBC working correctly again.

Could be as simple as a loose wire in the truck, no? Shouldn't take a lot of diagnostic effort to find out if the truck controller is working or not.

But if you want to use the P3 (an excellent choice!), just disconnect the brake wire from the integrated controller to the 7-pin trailer plug and wire in the P3. Should be able to use one of the pre-made P3 adapter harnesses, but even DIY wiring isn't that hard for anyone who has some 12v experience.

Last edited:
According to the huge Cequent tow vehicle and accessories catalog I have, a Tekonsha 3021P is the cable that fits the 2011-2012 RAM 1500/2500/3500 truck and the Tekonsha controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3021-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B004I9UFNQ

71T05AY0k-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And yes, this is the pic of the 3021P cable (P means it has connectors on both ends, S means it has the vehicle end only and you have to splice it to the piece that comes with the controller, and no suffix letter means it is bulk packed (12 ea) version of the two connector cable. The square gray end is the end that plugs onto the truck.

The connector is somewhere over near the parking brake.

The P3's claim to fame is that it can control up to four axles and has memory for settings for four different trailers. My main gripe with it (I have one) is that even in the dimmest possible mode, the dang thing is blinding at night. Thankfully mine is mounted so that the spoke of the steering wheel blocks the direct view of it most of the time.

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom