2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door, V6- Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X-Roughneck Strike 3

Want to get some ball park ideas of Travel Trailer limitations with my current Jeep.

To me, Jeeps just dont seem like the logical choice to tow stuff with. Don't see alot of them doing it either. Bouncing this questions off the board, IDK squat about tow-ables.

I am looking at tow-ables. I think possible A frame, or Tear Drop may be in the capacity of this V6 jeep I have? I have the standard Unlimited factory Plain suspension. New tires, wheels, and shocks though.

It does have a receiver, looks like it has never towed anything.

The Jeep is not the best handling vehicle in winds at highway speeds without towing IMO.

Question: Is it just crazy to think of any type of Boxy tow-ables with a Jeep/V6/4 Door Wrangler Unlimited?

I think a Bud of mine mentioned to look at a Casita?

I do like some of that Gelcoated Fiberglass stuff out there. Looking for ideas, small but not super primitive.

Advice?

I am guessing the towing capacity of the Jeep is listed around 5,000#. That's not a barn door windage type trailer. The wheelbase is short so there is a drag effect.

You might get away with a 19 foot trailer. You have to look up the specs.

I saw a guy at Garner State Park, he had a small A-Frame trailer, looked similar to the old star craft handle crank with the 2 pull out beds.

I've seen a guy at the lake also with a interesting looking small Trailer, metal shell, with one pull out bed, 15ft max? Might see if I can get model. I see it has a 11.5 AC on top of it.

I do see a RV lot selling the A Frames new here. I need to go in a look. I think I would need something LOW like that if when I downsize to stay in the RV game.

I may market my RV with Tow-vehicle also. Not sure yet.

The 32' 5" Class C I have is a ...Big Lumbering Beast, you have to plan your next move ensuring your moving forward when you have the Jeep in tow at 50 ft plus. The Plus and Minus are apparent.

I am not a fan of towing, but using the Jeep at Tow Vehicle make me alot more nimble than I currently am.

Basic internet search shows you can tow 2-3k Basic payload around 1k. We really need you to verify your actual payload on a yellow sticker in drivers door. Also, see if your hitch has any stickers on it. You can probably tow, but as you suspect, will be on the light side. If you have the Jeep all set-up to 4 down tow, it might be a better option to sell as that, seems they are popular as toads.

My brief research agrees with SpencerPJ - a 2012 Wranger Unlimited is typically rated for towing 2000 lbs but some configurations go up to 3500. The hitch tongue weight is also limited. You need to figure out what yours is rated for. There should be a section in your owner manual about towing - start there.

2000 lbs is very limiting - small pop-ups or tear drops. Remember that the available tow capacity decreases as you load more people or gear into the Wrangler itself.

From what I read, there was a Tow Package available that changed gearing along with adding a more-capable hitch. If yours has that option, you have more choices for the trailer.

I got a 2013 Jeep, BTW. Probably does not matter +1 year. OOPs.

Looking in the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport manual and the door label shows 850 lb for the occupants and cargo. The max trailer weight for this is 1,995 pounds.

This Machine TX 427 tips the scales at 1880 lbs. Close enough..I will rent it as long as all my wiring is there in the back on Jeep. The Home Depot won't allow rental to bumper mounted vehicles, so luckily I checked and did not drag my neighbor, with the truck, down there for nothing.

I'm going with the Toro as the other model the Ditch Witch is 1000 lb heavier. I need to be more nimble too. I got 5 yards of my "Yardless yard Granite Material" on tap for Wednesday. Got the 5 yard Min to avoid the delivery fee.

I knew my shoulder was jacked up, and MRI I just had done confirmed. Currently don't want to do too much wheel borrowing. Got appt for the Surgeon and I am hoping therapy might be on the plate, but I got a deep tear in it.

I will be right at max weight. I will take service road from point A to B (6 Miles) so not worried. I probably could pull the heavier one too, being overweight if I went slow. Would not be smart, but..Never claimed to be either..

70F here on Friday.

Attachments

• Dingo TX 427.jpg
    Dingo TX 427.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Dingo Trailer.jpg
    Dingo Trailer.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Dingo Trailler Connect.jpg
    Dingo Trailler Connect.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Jeeps are not good tow vehicles, better at being towed (And even then not always, mine for example is not to be towed) I've towed near rating without issues with other vehicles but I don't recommend it

One of the interesting things though is several hitch companies sell a hitch for my jeep CLASS III (that's way more than I can safely tow) The jeep is class II at best.

Jeeps are not good tow vehicles, better at being towed (And even then not always, mine for example is not to be towed) I've towed near rating without issues with other vehicles but I don't recommend it

One of the interesting things though is several hitch companies sell a hitch for my jeep CLASS III (that's way more than I can safely tow) The jeep is class II at best.
I agree John.

You just do not see many Jeep towing anything period for a reason.

The Jeep has a somewhat of a terrible ride just being a Jeep IMO. Truck Like, but Boxy, more of a top heavy feel especially in the wind.

I only have 6 miles out (Staying on Access Road) flat with a few traffic lights.

I agree John.

You just do not see many Jeep towing anything period for a reason.

The Jeep has a somewhat of a terrible ride just being a Jeep IMO. Truck Like, but Boxy, more of a top heavy feel especially in the wind.

I only have 6 miles out (Staying on Access Road) flat with a few traffic lights.
Truth in part at least. Jeep has a lot of vehicles. The "Wrangler" CG. (Classic like)( class is kind of narrow and top heavy I agree. My Cherokee Latitude handles fairly well in wind and corners... Way better than a ford truck that's for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom