2014 Winnebago Aspect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mschuitt

I am purchasing a 2014 Aspect and really like the unit except for the wandering I notice on the highway. What should I consider adding to fix this situation. I'm already planning new tires balanced as well as a front alignment.
Any suggestions will help.

I would check and if it doesn't have a steering dampener of some type, add one. If the mileage is at all high it may need ball joints and quite possibly shocks.

One thing that can cause that wandering is over-inflated steering tires. It's best to weigh the rig, as it's ready for the road with water/gas/people/clothing/food etc. on board, then look up the recommended pressure for the weight on the tires of each axle (wheel by wheel would be better, but all tires on the same axle need the same pressure).

There was some discussion about the factory caster/camber collars not allowing enough adjustment and factory specs which may not be correct for RVs.

Camber/Caster

Overinflated tires is a prominent cause of that. Recent year Ford motorhome chassis already have steer stabilizers and I think a track bar as well.

It's common for RV dealers and tire shops to inflate the tires to their max load capacity, but that is often well above what is desirable for the actual loaded weight. But you have to weigh the coach by wheel (or at least by axle) to determine the optimal pressure and that seldom happens.

Overinflated tires is a prominent cause of that. Recent year Ford motorhome chassis already have steer stabilizers and I think a track bar as well.

It's common for RV dealers and tire shops to inflate the tires to their max load capacity, but that is often well above what is desirable for the actual loaded weight. But you have to weigh the coach by wheel (or at least by axle) to determine the optimal pressure and that seldom happens.
Thanks Gary. I did buy the 2014 Winnebago Aspect Class C. It's on a Ford E450 chassis with the V10 engine. I found the air shocks completely out of air. Put half of the recommended air ( 40 psi) and the drivers side has a slow leak. Down to 28 after 2 days. Think I need to replace all the shocks. What do you recommend? Current shocks are 8 years old going on 9. What about a rear sway bay if it doesn't have one? I don't6 want to break the bank, but want to have a good ride that handles well.
Thanks for your help.
MSchuitt

Think I need to replace all the shocks. What do you recommend?
The air shocks would make me wonder if the previous owner was trying to raise it because he had it overloaded? I don't see why you need airshocks if you also observe the chassis weight limits. Have you replaced the tires? If so be sure to check the inflation table for the tires you have now and inflate by those once you have accurate weights. Keep in mind also that weight distribution will affect the handling of any RV even if it isn't overloaded. You may want to consider getting it weighed by one of the services that give you the weight on each wheel and not just the axles.

Thanks Kirk. The air shocks are factory from Winnebago. Don't think I will replace with air shocks however.

Back
Top Bottom