2014 Winnebago Forza adhesive covering front of coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottro

I haven’t done any research yet on the adhesive type of sticker that basically covers the entire front of the motorhome under the windshield. The problem we are having is,it is cracking and looks horrible. I did talk to a gentleman with Winnebago recently at a RV show and he confirmed it was a stick on covering.
I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they were able to get new adhesive without to much of a problem?
Thanks,Scott,
Orlando

I have never read of an owner having it removed, then having a new one reinstalled. As Gary said, this is an often discussed and cussed problem. I have a strip of diamond shield 6"X16" just above the Kwikee entry step, it is spiderweb-cracked and molded in those cracks; looks terrible.

Last edited:
That is a total PITA to remove, expect to pay about $1,000 to have it removed. Or....

I spent about a combined total of 40 hours off and on for about six months removing that #%*#@ film from our Horizon.

The way to remove it is to use a heat gun and a 'plastic' razor scraper (Amazon). After heating and scraping, there will be a remaining adhesive - at lot to a little. Removing the adhesive - I tried MEK, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, naphtha, acetone and 3M adhesive remover. None of those worked.

The secret sauce turned out to be gasoline, yes gasoline. I tried this as a last resort and was afraid what it would do to the clear coat. No problem and the gasoline was amazingly effective (and quick acting.)

Both my car and my old Ranger pickup have small patches of clear film at points where the manufacturer determined there would be abrasion, rocks, etc, down low on the sides. All of these areas are now black underneath and cracked. Probably should set about removing them.

Charles

That is a total PITA to remove, expect to pay about $1,000 to have it removed. Or....

I spent about a combined total of 40 hours off and on for about six months removing that #%*#@ film from our Horizon.

The way to remove it is to use a heat gun and a 'plastic' razor scraper (Amazon). After heating and scraping, there will be a remaining adhesive - at lot to a little. Removing the adhesive - I tried MEK, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, naphtha, acetone and 3M adhesive remover. None of those worked.

The secret sauce turned out to be gasoline, yes gasoline. I tried this as a last resort and was afraid what it would do to the clear coat. No problem and the gasoline was amazingly effective (and quick acting.)
Thanks for the info John.
When I first looked up adhesive on the front of a motorhome. I was immediately referred to another RV forum. I then read several nightmare stories about them having the same problems with its appearance and the same problems as you had removing it. Do you know if it is diamond shield on the Winnebagos or possibly 3M, or some other product?
I’ve been extremely hesitant to mess with it due to the problems you mentioned. Also, I didn’t want to have to worry about getting the whole front end re-painted. It’s the worst looking part of the whole coach. Your paint job seemed to be in decent shape after you cleaned it all up? Also, did you apply the gasoline after you got the sticker off in just a spray bottle?
Thanks again!
Scott,Orlando

I have never read of an owner having it removed, then having a new one reinstalled. As Gary said, this is an often discussed and cussed problem. I have a strip of diamond shield 6"X16" just above the Kwikee entry step, it is spiderweb-cracked and molded in those cracks; looks terrible.
That’s exactly what ours looks like Ray. It has spider webbing all over the front end, and some mold, growing under the edges in the lighter colored areas.
Scott,Orlando

The folks in Ft Meyers have been doing it for years and will even sell you the products to aid in removal and clean up of it. Done right, the paint is not damaged when finished. I'm not lazy but in this case, I'd drive it in and go to lunch and tell 'em to call me when done. Whatever they charge, its gonna be worth it.

Charles

Thanks for the info John.
When I first looked up adhesive on the front of a motorhome. I was immediately referred to another RV forum. I then read several nightmare stories about them having the same problems with its appearance and the same problems as you had removing it. Do you know if it is diamond shield on the Winnebagos or possibly 3M, or some other product?
I’ve been extremely hesitant to mess with it due to the problems you mentioned. Also, I didn’t want to have to worry about getting the whole front end re-painted. It’s the worst looking part of the whole coach. Your paint job seemed to be in decent shape after you cleaned it all up? Also, did you apply the gasoline after you got the sticker off in just a spray bottle?
Thanks again!
Scott,Orlando
It was the 3M product as I recall - at least it was a $1,000 option :rolleyes:. The hardest part of the removal process was heating a strip of the plastic (about 4" by 12") and scraping it off. Hard because you can only heat and scrape a little area at a time. I probably used 50+ of the little plastic 'razor' inserts.

After I got an area about 2' by 2' scraped off I put on gloves, soaked a rag in gasoline and started rubbing. I also experimented with trying to keep a solvent soaked shop towel pressed up against the adhesive but keeping it pressed against the area was a problem I didn't attempt to solve. The gas soaked rag was fast and easy.

The gasoline had zero effect on the clear coat as far as I could tell. After the front cap was cleaned of the #@*&$@^ film and washed, I polished it with great results. Bottom line is that project was 100% successful (unlike a couple of other coach experiments.)

Well, thanks for the clarity on some things, John. It’s interesting, because in some of what I’ve read and hearing other peoples stories, it sounds like some people have problems with the adhesive skin, and others say they love it. As I said, before, it’s the worst looking part on our coach. Most of the area that is failing is black, but the spider webbing looks horrible in the black
Scott,Orlando

You might consider using a 50/50 solution of bleach to soak the shield for a time, it might improve the looks enough until you get it removed that you can stand to look at it.:)
Ray, I’m just wondering if even diluted bleach would do any damage to the paint in the surrounding area. Most of the area affected by the spider webbing is black so you can’t see a lot of mildew. There is some maroon and white striping underneath the black area where you can see smaller areas of mildew growing under the skin. Thanks for the idea.
Scott, Orlando

Theres a company in Fort Meyers FL called Ugly Shield that removes it and/ or sells the adhesive remover.
They have some useful Youtube videos too. Be prepared to use some elbow grease.

Ray, I’m just wondering if even diluted bleach would do any damage to the paint in the surrounding area. Most of the area affected by the spider webbing is black so you can’t see a lot of mildew. There is some maroon and white striping underneath the black area where you can see smaller areas of mildew growing under the skin. Thanks for the idea.
Scott, Orlando
I wash our MH with a soluton of auto soap, 3-4 oz. bleach in a 5G pail of water. I'm hoping that keeps all mold/mildew killed, I've used that mixture for perhaps 45 years.

This video gives you some good tips. If you watch his videos on Winnebago roof repair, he is through, professional and simply amazing.

What James says pretty much reinforces what John said in his post...... Take your time.

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom