2016 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 Towing 15 Keystone Hideout 260LHS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Northern Guy

Alright, I have been reading around these forums for the last few days and I decided it was time to sign up and become a part of the community. I have looked through tons of posts and after reading them I feel pretty confident about my set up. Normally, I'm the type of guy that goes overboard with what ever I'm doing but I just can afford the 3/4 ton at this time. So here is my question. I have a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3L V8, 4D double cab, 4x4 6 - speed automatic, 3.42 rear axle ratio, with the Z71 package. Below are the numbers.
GVWR ? 7,200 lbs
GAWR FRT ? 3,950 lbs
GAWR RR ? 3,950 lbs
Curb Weight 5,263 lbs
Maximum Payload ? 1,810 lbs
Maximum Towing Capacity ? 9,200 lbs

Trailer is a 2015 Keystone Hideout 260LHS Specs
Length bumper to ball ? 29.92 ft
Width ? 8 ft
Height ? 10.25 ft
Dry Weight ? 5,150 lbs
Payload - 2,442 lbs
GVWR ? 7,600 lbs
Hitch Weight - 645 lbs
With a weight distribution hitch.

Now, normally I wouldn't think I would have any issues with this set up. But I will be moving from NC to CA around June ? July. So really just wanted to look for  any opinions from the community on this one. I will be adding a Derale 8000 Series class IV adding transmission fluid cooler (hasn't been ordered yet so let me know if you have anything better in mind), a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, and I am considering changing out my normal tires for a higher rating. I'm planning on emptying out all holding tanks prior to any mountain regions and the truck and trailer should be fairly light with the wife and kids following behind in a Honda pilot. So I don't think I would be adding anymore than 1,400 lbs of gear between me gas for the truck and odds and ends in the trailer. If you guys have any pointers for modifications I should max to the truck other than getting a bigger one, it would be appreciated. Or just let me know if there are any ideal routes and if you think the rig is a good fit. Thanks in advance for any advice.   

Great Post Guy :))

A nice payload for your Truck.  Many / most 1500s seem closer to 1500 lbs.  With your wife and kids behind, and being very aware of your capacities, I think you will be fine.  The 5.3 will struggle at times, and your 6 speed will help a bunch.  Of course you will wish you had a 3/4 ton with a Diesel, lol, but I think you will be fine.  I would weigh your whole set-up, loaded if possible.  Trailers are notoriously heavier than the spec sheets says. If you are moving as well, same drive, all your belongings weight can add up quickly, my wife and daughters would have 500 lbs of shoes  :eek: .  If you needed to plan to pull a Uhaul with the Pilot, best to know with time to plan.  Sounds like an awesome adventure you have planned, best of luck  :))

Sounds like you have a good match for your setup....Just make sure the trailer is riding level and keep some of the added weight to the front of the trailer.

Thanks for the pointers on the weight guys. I?m definitely gonna head down to a scale and get everything weighed empty and full. Luckily this is a military move, so I?m gonna have the movers take almost everything. Plus with it being a summer time trip, everyone?s gonna be limited to two pairs of shoes hiking and sandals.

Northern Guy said:
Thanks for the pointers on the weight guys. I?m definitely gonna head down to a scale and get everything weighed empty and full. Luckily this is a military move, so I?m gonna have the movers take almost everything. Plus with it being a summer time trip, everyone?s gonna be limited to two pairs of shoes hiking and sandals.

My wife would just laugh at me if I tried to limit her to 2 pairs of shoes....

On our cross country trip she took 6 pairs and bought 2 more while on the road.

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Second, THANK YOU for the full data in your post!!!

My analysis:  It appears the Payload came from your yellow placard and it is a lower trim level truck.  Assuming that is true, you are in great shape.

You have 1800# payload, 800# hitch wt, 80# WD hitch, which leaves 900# for you and whatever else goes in the truck.  A full tank of fuel is already included in the Payload.

Thanks for your service and I hope you can slow down long enough to really enjoy the trip!

Between the Lines:  We went camping this weekend.  3 days.  I took the pair of shoes on my feet.  My wife packed 4 pair for herself  and 4 more for our granddaughter (2 year old) who was only with us one night.

Keep in mind that the max speed limit for any trailer is 55MPH in kali.
And the CHP are a sneaky lot.

Back
Top Bottom