2016 Silverado 1500 reliability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stumper

Hello folks; my wife and I are looking to purchase this Silverado with 23,000 miles on it, has towing capacity of 9300lbs the TT we are looking at gross weight is 8200lbs.  We will be retiring in 2 years and live in New England. Our plan is going south and southwest during the winter months. Does anyone have experiences good and bad with this truck and TT size that you can share? We are not wealthy people and I?m the worry wort kind of person so I?m worried about reliability of the truck, most problems that might pop up on the TT I believe I can handle. Does anyone have advise on used car warranties? I read articles till my eyes hurt and I don?t know if their worth the money. Hearing from people who actuality have experience with these matters is invaluable!! Thanks any input Stumper

I can't provide any help on the Silverado reliability, but the engine and drivetrain are critical factors in that assessment. How is that Silverado equipped?

Vehicle extended warranties, however, I know about.  First, they are not warranties - they are insurance policies. Like all insurance, they are highly valuable if you have bad luck and need a lot of repairs, but just an added expense if not. If your repair experience is just average, you will pay more in premiums than you recover in repair costs. That's because the premiums are set high enough to pay for all the required repairs PLUS a hefty sales commission to the agent that sells the contract, another hefty fee to the company that handles claims and payouts, and still provide a profit to the insurer.  Insurance is worthwhile if there is a substantial risk of high dollar repairs but rarely cost effective for repair of routine wear & tear items.

Stumper said:
Hello folks; my wife and I are looking to purchase this Silverado with 23,000 miles on it, has towing capacity of 9300lbs the TT we are looking at gross weight is 8200lbs.  We will be retiring in 2 years and live in New England. Our plan is going south and southwest during the winter months. Does anyone have experiences good and bad with this truck and TT size that you can share? We are not wealthy people and I?m the worry wort kind of person so I?m worried about reliability of the truck, most problems that might pop up on the TT I believe I can handle. Does anyone have advise on used car warranties? I read articles till my eyes hurt and I don?t know if their worth the money. Hearing from people who actuality have experience with these matters is invaluable!! Thanks any input Stumper
What is the load capacity or payload of that particular truck?? (Found on a sticker on the driver's door usually.)

I have had three Silverados with no problems. I would be more concerned about what you want to tow.  With a 1500 you should not try more than a 6,500 gross.  That is what I pulled when I had a 1500, more would be not advisable. MHO

This Silverado has the 5.3 v8 with 3.42 rear axle ratio with auto locking, 6/speed automatic trans.  Hitch capacity supposedly 1,000lbs  tow rating of 9,300 lbs.  cargo capacity 2,200lbs.  Has Trans oil cooler. 

"cargo capacity 2,200lbs"

Where did you get this number?  Is this was it shows on the yellow sticker on the door jam? My son's 2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel has this number ???

bare bones according to chevys web site is 1700 lbs but if its an LTZ  or LT it will be down around 1300 - 1400 lbs

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/brochures/chevrolet/2016-silverado.pdf

I have a well maintained 2005 YukonXL, 5.3 v8, 3.42 rear end, and 4 speed transmission, Tow package with extra trans cooler etc.  NO way would I pull that much trailer, or anything over 25', or anything with gross weight over 7000#.  All the specs are for flat trailer with low profile steel sitting on them.  The specs do not take into account a very important part of the formula, frontal area wind force and effects, and gusty wind from the sides.  That truck can probably pull that trailer, it won't be a fun drive, it will push the truck to limits of hard wear, and stay out of hilly country.

bare bones according to chevys web site is 1700 lbs but if its an LTZ  or LT it will be down around 1300 - 1400 lbs
It's probably higher than that.  The brochure clearly shows a 2WD, 4-door double cab, 5.3L with Trailer package to have a Max Payload of 2190 or 2260 depending on the transmission. A little less if 4WD.  Crew cabs about 100 lbs or so less.

I had a 2014 Chevy max tow package 5.3, 6 speed, 3.73 gear, 1760 payload and 11200 trailer rating.  I have a 28' 6400 gross trailer.  For what you plan to do there is no way I would buy ANY half ton truck.

Stumper said:
This Silverado has the 5.3 v8 with 3.42 rear axle ratio with auto locking, 6/speed automatic trans.  Hitch capacity supposedly 1,000lbs  tow rating of 9,300 lbs.  cargo capacity 2,200lbs.  Has Trans oil cooler.
If all that is true then your most limiting factor is the cargo capacity.
So add up the weight of everything you plan to put in or on the truck while towing. This includes your weight, wife's weight, any children, the dog, tool boxes and anything else. Now subtract that from the cargo capacity. That leaves you with the maximum tongue weight you should be towing.
Tongue weight is usually 10-12% of trailer weight. GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT IS WHAT COUNTS not dry weight.

As others have stated many times the 9300 pounds tow capacity is under ideal circumstances with a low trailer with no frontal area to induce WIND RESISTANCE. Think about that big frontal area getting hit with 60 MPH winds.

The 5.3 liter engine will be to small for the 8200 lb trailer specially going uphills. for your travels I would stay below 6000 pounds Gross weight.

Lastly if you buy to small a truck, can you afford to buy another or will it be better for you to get a more capable truck for extra money right now?

Great info.  Thanks for the advise.  I guess I need a bigger truck or a lighter trailer. 

Stumper said:
Great info.  Thanks for the advise.  I guess I need a bigger truck or a lighter trailer.

I had a 16' silverado crew cab 4x4. 5.3, 3.42s. I pulled a rockwood 2509s with it. Dry weight is 5100. GVWR is 7k and 26ft long. With my hitch setup properly, E rated tires and a good brake controller, It was a handful. Wind pushed it around bad. I would advise again a 1500.

As for reliability, mine had a vibration at idle. It shook the center console, and everything in it. When stopped your seat felt like am mild massage chair. It went to 3 different GM dealers, and I worked with GM care. They continually told me my truck was "within spec" . The service manager at one such dealer ship agreed it wasn't right but it was within in spec, so there was nothing they could do. GM offered no real support. At one point a comment was made that I didn't buy the ew truck new. I don't know why that would have mattered. the truck only had 30k on it. So long story short, between not performing as I wanted towing, and the lack of customer service, i bailed on Gm.  I know 4 people personally who have had issues with the cylinder deactivation on the 5.3s and camshaft failures, and I have a feeling mine was on its way out also. 

I did not have a pleasant experience with 1/2T  suburbans towing lighter weight <7K lb  BPs.  For me the main problem was that the stock trannies on the 1/2T just didn't hold up.  The specs were ok but just white knuckle  drives not to mention failing trannies.  got an 06 DMAX with the Allison, its a whole another world that I wouldn't be willing to go back.  There's always risk with used stuff but it worked out for me so far.

I have 2018 Silverado 1500 4X4, 4 door has the Tow package .I pull TT 26'3' weight 4700 lbs dry. When I am loaded on the road I am towing a little under 6000. I personal would not want to tow anything bigger then this size. My truck does a pretty good job, I keep my speed right around 65 mph. My thinking, the TT is going to be too much for your truck.   

It really depends on how its configured.  There are lots of configurations with these trucks.  With Max Towing option NHT, you can get to 2200 on payload even with a 4 door cab but that also comes with a 11000-12500 max trailering rating dependent upon, cab, engine combo.  When NHT is present rear axle ratios are mandatory 3.73 with 5.3L engine/6 speed or 3.42 with 6.2L/8 Speed combo.  With NHT you also get the towing mirrors, upgraded radiator, upgraded shocks, upgraded rear springs, and integrated brake controller.  This is not the same as the trailering package.

With the 9300 lb max trailer weight the OP posted, this sounds very typical of crew cab/double cab with the 5.3L/6 speed/3.42 combo which usually runs 9100-9600 towing rating with 1400-1800 of payload again depending on cab options etc.  This is the most commonly found powertrain in the 2014-2018 1500 trucks.  I agree that if this is the case, it would be pushing it for the size trailer in question.

Back
Top Bottom