2018 Sightseer 36z Electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

Just purchased this Sightseer, I do camp hosting at a state park where there is 30A and 20A outlets on the pedestal. Last year we had to manage the power in the RV, this year it will be more management with the newer, bigger, RV. What's the best way to use that 20A circuit in addition to the 30A? Trying to talk management into upgrading the host site to 50A (don't think it's going to happen) :(

Yes, still, some management to use some appliances, systems, when we wanted them. Would like to leverage that 20A circuit, if I can. We used a small 1500 watt heater to supplement, or avoid some propane use this past season. Was thinking I could use that 20A circuit for something like that.

First, don't delude yourself about those outlets. The site has a single 30A feed, which is shared by the 20A & 30A outlets. If the feeder line is protected by a breaker on the other end, you will only have a total of 30A available. That may or may not be true where you are.

Assuming you can get more than 30A total, the easiest way to use that extra 20A outlet is to run an extension cord inside and plug in some of your auxiliary devices. Especially if you want to run an electric space heater or hair dryer (big amp draws). There is no easy way to power any of the RV's appliances unless you are willing to do some rewiring of the load center (breaker box). That's not super difficult, but takes some electrical systems knowledge, which I'm guessing you don't have (or you wouldn't be asking).

Thanks Gary, you are probably correct on the single 30A feed, didn't occur to me. Back to bugging management for the 50A service. I was thinking an extension cord into the space heater but that likely wouldn't work.

Even if your power pedestal had the correct gauge wire for 50 amp service there's a good chance their is a 30 amp upstream breaker. When I wired my 50 amp guest pad and my 50 amp parking pad pedestal, I used a 50 amp breaker in my main load center for each. However... If you have a 30 amp pedestal behind yours that's not in use, there's an adapter sold that combines two 30A outlets into one 50A outlet - appropriately called a "cheater box." :whistle:

Edit - one more thing I thought of, measure the voltage under full load in your unit. You should be reading ~115-120 VAC, if your voltage is sagging under load, the park has a problem. If you are camp hosting in a non-commercial park, I wouldn't be surprised about dodgy wiring.

Yes, I saw that but Gary's mention of the 30A pedestal wiring being from a 30A breaker and shared to the 20A outlet would make those adapters kinda worthless. I had a visit with the Ranger and the maintenance guy that manage the campground yesterday. They are looking into the possible upgrade to 50A.:) The pedestal is only about 100 ft. from the distribution panel. Possible the underground wire is big enough for the 50A service and just need a breaker for the distribution panel and a pedestal upgrade. Hoping for the best outcome, otherwise we will likely be back to managing a 30A connection and dealing with propane refills or some kind of additional propane service for heat. A lot of the electrical demand is going to heat the MH, using the heat pumps versus propane. Could always add an extend-a-stay and an additional propane bottle. Of course the heat pump energy is of less cost to us, maybe ;)

Sounds promising, hope they get you more power. LP is an expensive way to heat and it releases moisture in your RV (and I suppose the $$ comes out of your pocket.)

Sounds promising, hope they get you more power. LP is an expensive way to heat and it releases moisture in your RV (and I suppose the $$ comes out of your pocket.)
IF you're using a Little Buddy stand alone propane heater, this is true, but if you're using the RV furnace, the moisture from the burning propane goes out the exhaust of the furnace, not into the interior of the coach.

Occasional use of basement heat is necessary because of freezing night time temps. Electric heat for when the heat pumps can't keep up.

Possible the underground wire is big enough for the 50A service and just need a breaker for the distribution panel and a pedestal upgrade.
Won't work - 50A service is 240v and requires an additional wire as well as a larger gauge. However, if the wire to the pedestal is larger than 10 gauge (30A), they could upgrade the breaker to 40A (or maybe more) and get you a modest increase in power. 40A/120v is actually a big help - it gets you over the hump, so to speak. Enough to run one a/c (or space heater), fridge and some other odds and ends.

Last edited:
They are checking the circuit today. Likely like you said, no 4th conductor, regardless of size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom