2022 Freedom Express - Roof Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick in Ohio

First season using new camper, cleaning roof noticed this 'bubble' by skylight.
Forest River says it's 'normal' and not warrantable, but if I want it repaired they would cover 2.5 hours of the work.
Obvious question: is it normal or in need of repair? I would like to have it repaired but don't want to cover majority of work.
Has anyone had this issue with a new camper? What are my options?

Nicholson Roof - 2022 259FKDS.jpg

Personally, that would not bother me, but I understand, it is new. Given the general poor quality and QC, I'd pick my battles wisely. If it doesn't leak, don't mess with it, because it might leak afterwards. Looks like a poor tuck job when installing skylight. I would keep an eye on it, if it gets worse, place a piece of Eternabond tape over the area.

"pick my battles wisely"
I try to do this but only have a canoe with a broken paddle and a blow dart. They typically have battle ships with 'lawyers guns and money' - WZ.
Warranty expires in November so after that I'm on my own, prompting my urgency.
If I had not been on the roof cleaning it, I would not have noticed it and would not be on this site or have the camper at the dealer bartering with them .

I've seen this done on u-tube and would not want to attempt it myself, although I jump into many projects expecting positive results or rework with lessons learned.

The manu was offering to pay for 2.5 hours to pacify me hoping I would go away because I am an annoying customer that expects quality, service and results. I will still be in the hole for $628 in labor and more for parts, tax, and what ever stuff they add to your work order.

This is not acceptable to me. This is a new camper under warranty and I don't think I should be responsible for these repairs. A warranty is a guarantee of quality. If you run from this or deflect it, you are not committed to quality, you just pass these issues on to the customer and do not address them internally, perpetuating the issue and ignoring GMP

Hi kirk, I did not measure it but from recall (the unit is still at the dealer) and the pic, it should be 10-12 inches in length.

Attachments

• Nicholson Roof - 2022 259FKDS.jpg
    Nicholson Roof - 2022 259FKDS.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2

Customer Satisfaction is Our #1 Priority.​

At Forest River, Inc., your needs, interests, budget, and lifestyle are at the forefront of everything we do. This affects every step from design, to the manufacturing floor, and on to you, our Customer. Whatever your need—recreation, transportation, or cargo hauling—we strive to bring quality products within reach of everyone. It’s not just a slogan: “Customer Satisfaction is Our #1 Priority.”

It looks cosmetic to me. I have imperfections on the roof of my 2004 trailer and no leaks caused by bubbles.

If it bothers you, then go ahead and accept their goodwill offer of 2.5 hours but first have them explain what the job entails. How will they reach the bubble and adhere it down? how many hours are you liable for plus materials. Is the rework going to look worse? maybe. What problem will the rework solve? It's not leaking now, is it?

I would just note my displeasure and keep an eye on it so that if it ever becomes a problem, then maybe their goodwill will be available down the road.

I'd call it RV-normal sloppy workmanship. It's still waterproof, so technically OK. Cosmetically, not so much, but it's not visible from the ground, right?

Actually, I'm surprised they even offered the 2.5 labor hours. Most RV companies do not these days. That's enough to slit the bubble, glue it down, and seal the slit with Dicor or roof tape.

10-12 inches in length.
To me, that seems awfully large but I'm not big on slitting the roof to fix it because of the possibility of leaks developing eventually from that slit. Isn't that the edge of the bathroom skylight? I had issues with that same thing along ours but nowhere close to that large. I am not sure what I'd do but I sure wouldn't be happy.

I can see and understand it's not perfect.

But I also don't see this as a current or future water intrusion point.

I'd just chock it up to a cosmetic flaw that gives that trailer it's own character.
Like the first scratch on a new truck.
Or the Mole on Cyndy Crawford's chin :)

Back
Top Bottom