220v. for an RV size dryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

I have been reading reviews of RV washer/dryers and separate units. very mediocre dryer performance seems to be the rule which isn't surprising when the unit only has 100v. supply.

Unless I'm mistaken a 50a. campground plug can provide 220 so I wondering if there is a 220v. mini dryer out there. haven't been able to find one with google.

thx to anyone taking the time to comment.

Most rvs do not have 220 capabilities. Here in central Florida I hang my wet clothes up in the sunroom and they are dry within a few hours. And it is free.

Properly wired campground 50 amp outlets do provide 240 volts from hot leg to hot leg with 50 amp capability on each leg. The RV panel would likely need some re-configuring or even replacement to accommodate a dual 240 volt breaker. And new wiring would need to be run to the dryer location from the new breaker as well. And of course the dryer would be useless on 30 amp sites. Check on apartment sized dryers, you may find something there that will fit your available space.

My wife and I used a 120 volt RV combo washer/dryer for 5-6 years, and while it was slower than 240 volt dryers we didn't find that to be a problem for us. We just planned our laundry loads around the combo's time and capacity constraints, just as we do with larger units.

I have been reading reviews of RV washer/dryers and separate units. very mediocre dryer performance seems to be the rule which isn't surprising when the unit only has 100v. supply.

Unless I'm mistaken a 50a. campground plug can provide 220 so I wondering if there is a 220v. mini dryer out there. haven't been able to find one with google.

thx to anyone taking the time to comment.
Granted that the dryers found in RVs don't dry quite as quickly as those in your house, but we've found it adequate on two separate coaches. In any case, we have yet to see even a 50 amp coach set up for 220V operation, even of one outlet. The two 50 amp legs are split (as others are indicating above) to feed an adequate amount of 110V outlets. It's still a limited electricity supply, compared to that at home, just as other features are limited compared to what you may have at home, so we find that we can run the microwave, the TV, the washer, the dryer and a few other things pretty much as we need them, just as at home, and a 220V dryer would definitely cut into that.

As with all other things in RVs, it's a tradeoff.

Later: One other thought: Would a typical 220V dryer even FIT in the places usually set aside in the RV? Many even use a combo washer/dryer.

We had a Splendid vented combo for 12 years. Time was never an issue for us. Start a load in the morning, at lunch take out clean dry, start a second load. Time is the last thing a full or part timer needs to worry about.

As others have said, a 50A campground supply has 240v available, but most RVs do not have a load center (breaker box) set up to accept 240v twin breakers and thus do not accomodate 220/240v branch circuits. Most could be modified to accept a different load center that would do it, but the difficulty & cost varies widely. Some, however, may come with a load center that already has that capability.

There are RVs that have 220/240v dryers, often a residential-style stack set. Not a "mini". It doesn't need to be an "RV" dryer - you can install any brand or type you have room and power for.

As others have said, a 50A campground supply has 240v available,
I noticed. So I made up an adapter so I can charge my electric motorcycle at 6,300 watts (~26 amps at 240 VAC) for the few times I am in a hurry for a recharge, where such is available.

But most of the time, by far, there is no hurry so I just use the 120 VAC outside outlet on my RV and charge at 1,400 watts (~12 amps).

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom