24' Class C versus 24' Class A for solo traveller w/2 dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjposner

First time buyer looking to buy an RV for many month travel. Started with Class B and they were were way to narrow and cramped. looked at several Class C and for me the Coachmen Cross Trek/Trail Freelander Leprechaun 220xg/22xg (geez) seemed to be a good fit, I like the idea of the back door and extra daytime space. I was then shown an Axis 24.1/24.4 and that seemed pretty interesting as well. Any thoughts on driving, limits in parks (24'), etc.?

For the same length and all other things being equal, I'd go with a Class A. Visibility is much better, and the cockpit becomes part of your living area. Also consider cargo capacity (OCCC). For a long trip, being able to carry more weight might be critical. It's very important if you intend to boondock and will carry a full water tank.

The Axis really isn't a class A, it is a Class C chassis with a body kit built onto it. This is not to say that it does not have some Class A advantages like seating position, big windshield, etc. but you do not gain the advantages of a heavier Class A chassis underneath as it is built on the same Ford E series chassis as most of the Class C's on the road.

As to limits for getting into campgrounds, you will always find a campground you will not fit in, some have 20 ft max length, some 25, some 30, .... though in my experience with a 28 ft Class A, it is fairly rare for us to find sites we do not fit into, though occasionally those sites have "officially" been 25-27 ft in length, yet we still fit.

I love the front window of the Class A Axis, prefer the over cab area of the class c as I would use that for storage. I do not want to go bigger than a 24 footer for many reasons (easier to drive, more than enough space for one, camp ground access, backing up, easier to park in town, etc.)

I can understand your concerns, though be aware shorter / smaller does not always mean easier to drive, shorter wheel bases can be less stable at highway speed for example.

p.s. try taking a look at a 26-27 ft real Class A, something like a Winnebago 27N or 26HE if you can find one. I really think the Winnebago 27N has one of the best floor plans in a sub 28 ft Class A out there that has been built in the last 15 years. Also note my avatar photo which shows our 28 ft Class A backed into a standard parking space overhanging the curb, even at 28+ ft (29'5" bumper to bumper) we can still fit in a lot of places, see these photos for examples.

Attachments

• backed-in-trek.jpg
    backed-in-trek.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 9
  • bluebell-trek.jpg
    bluebell-trek.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Also keep in mind you don't have to max out your budget, ie if you find the right coach even if it is a 2015-2017 and costs $55,000 (or older and cheaper) it may be the right coach for you.

I agree with Kirk- a class A is actually easier to drive, but with the different perspective it takes a short time to get used to it. You have a better view, better mirrors, don't have to compensate for the difference in height and (especially) width between different parts of the rig, and have greater carrying capacity and better tank capacity, both fresh water and sewage. You also don't have the front over-cab section that is so often subject to leaking to a greater degree than most other parts or than a class A.

In addition, with a bit of practice, you'll actually have better awareness of what is all around you than you can do in a class C.

Add in that it may have a better turning radius than the same length of class C and, in most cases, better awareness of your rear end, and it will fit in the same places as the same length of class C, plus you'll have more living space and storage space (inside and outside) than in a C.

Granted that it seems a bit more intimidating at first than a class C, but a short learning period will yield many benefits and change that perspective (at least for most folks).

But, it's your money and your life...

We had a 29 ft Class C and found no problem finding more than enough sites where we go. What I thought I would mention about the Axis and Vegas is the lack of storage. We found it amusing when the salesman told us gleefully about the built in propane hook up for a grill, and I asked him where you could stow a grill..or camping chairs for that matter. The outside bays are/were quite small a few years ago when we were shopping in 2019. We didnt want to carry all those things inside.
Your dogs will be happy in anything as long as they are with you!
Good luck...

Kirk, my comment wasn't directed to Class C v. Class A, but 24' versus larger RVs. I am looking at both, but price wise the small Class A models are more expensive, which is a factor.

We just bought a class A and kind of went through the same exercise you're doing.

I like the looks of that Thor, but we looked at a lot of Thor brand motorhomes and they really do not hold up well compared to other brands, i.e. 2017 Thor vs 2017 something else.

Their interiors are much lower quality although that makes them more affordable.

I guess it's personal opinion but we have a 9 year-old Freightliner and our interior shows some age but I think it's in better shape than a 3 year-old Thor.

I've never owned one but if you look up Thor quality on Google you'll see a lot of hate for them out there.

How old is too old?
There really isn't any answer to this question. The very best RV can be damaged in a short time buy neglect and misuse and the cheapest RV can be sustained or improved by good maintenance and upgrading by a well-qualified owner. Unless you are an RV expert, you need to get a professional prepurchase inspection to know what the underlying conditions of the used RV are.

Ours is 22 years old, but it has been well maintained, even so maintenance is an ongoing issue, many things age out at around the 12-15 year point, this includes just about anything with a rubber component in it.

How old is too old?
Depends on what features you want, what you can add, and the interior wear, I think.Having spent a lot of time shopping for a Class A RV, there has not been much change in interior design over the past 10 years... Some material changes, like a lack of carpet in newer rigs, but the overall layout hasn’t changed much.
Electronics and convenience packages have changed some, most now include a lot more wireless capabilities.
The new Ford Godzilla gas engine is a slight change in the last two years, but there are literally thousands of reliable V10s on the road.
My Georgetown was 5 years old with 1700 miles on it when we bought it. We have had zero problems and made a few interior changes to better suit our lifestyle.
I am planning to make some electronics upgrades in the stereo and cameras, but overall it has been a great rig for us.

How old is too old?
There really isn't an age limit - it's all about condition. Lose your car-buyer mentality and think houses instead. A 20 or 30 year old house isn't too old if it has had even halfway reasonable care. Yeah, a motorhome has some vehicle components, but most motorhomes don't get driven a lot of miles or used in rough conditions.

You get what will work for 2 dogs and a human who are cooped up inside for a week straight due to bad weather. Contrary to advertising, it's not always good weather. It can be rainy, cold, hot or windy. Right now, it's not cold but the wind is blowing at a steady 23mph with 40mph gusts. The dog does not like the wind (and she was born out here). We will have to force her to go outside for her poop walk tonight.

For me, the biggest advantage a class C has is; almost any auto repair shop will work on the engine area. A class A presents problems some auto repair shops are not willing to work with, like having to work in the living area and on carpeting.
That would be my only reason to opt for a class C MH.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom