25 amp service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medic95

Hello,
I am new to RV'ing. Just bought a 2007 Rookwood Premier 1904. I am alittle confused with the electic hook up. I see alot of 20 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp hook ups. My pop up has a 25 amp service. My question is, what amp service can I hook up to?
Can someone clear this up for me.... please. Thanks.

Being a new coach, I would imagine you have the ability to connect to either 50 amp or 30 amp.  20 amp is not adequate to run much on a coach today.  If you didn't run A/C, a 20 amp might handle your light loads.

Describe your chord connection and we can tell you what it is designed for.

To answer your question, you can connect to any service, 20, 30 or 50 amp. using the correct adapters.  You will only be able to use as much power as the lesser of the service connection or your RVs main breaker, 25A in your case.

The guy has a pop-up not a coach. To answer his question, if a site has 30 amps, use it. If you have the air conditioner option, you will need 30 amps and your RV probably has a 30 amp plug. Otherwise you can get by with 20 amps but you'll need an adapter plug for your 30 amp connection.

Medic95,
You don't have 25A service in your Premier - what you have is a 25 amp converter/charger. The converter/charger produces 12V power from 120 VAC when you are plugged in and handles your 12V lighting and perhaps some other chores, perhaps powering the optional fridge or 12V utility outlets. The maximum output of the converter/charger is 25 amps @ 12 VDC, which should be plenty for your 12V needs.

I suspect your electrical service (what you plug in at the campsite is a standard residential style, parallel blade 120 VAC plug rated at either 15 or 20 amps. 20A would be plenty to run an air conditioner and simultaneously feed your converter/charger, which needs only 2.5 amps @ 120 VAC to produce 25 amps @ 12VDC.

As Ned says, you can plug this into any campsite outlet but 30A and 50A outlets have different pin configurations, so an appropriate adapter would be needed. Since most power poles will have a 15/20A outlet anyway, you probably won't have to worry about adapters.

Karl said:
John,Huh? Not sure what you're trying to tell him.

20 amp service in most CG's today (if not all) Is GFCI and if you have a converter or inverter with common and ground bonded the GFCI will sense a ground fault and shut off power

30 amp service is not via GFCI's in most parks and thus will work with any rig

If there is no converter or inverter, then odds are he does not have neutral and ground bonded and GFCI's will provide power

Well...  I will tell you how to find out for sure (And then make a comment)

Plug it into a GFCI,  If you hear a CLICK, then it won't work with GFCI's use the 30 amp with an adapter

If not, you are good on either outlet

Comment.  If you have electric brakes on that trailer you will for sure have a battery. Make sure it is properly charged, In fact a Battery Minder would not be a bad addition to the trailer.  Heaven forbid your trailer and Tow vehicle part company at speed, but if they do, that battery is what stops the trailer, VERY QUICKLY and hopfully before it rolls over and plays dead

Back
Top Bottom