3 computers and Phtoshop Elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I know photoshop elements will manage pictures on a network.

But I want to keep my master library on my desktop, and then use a laptop to collect and edit pictures as they come in off the camera.

I would like to develop a system where one copy of elements on the laptop will library only the pictures on that laptop.  Then move pictures to the desktop and get them out of the elements library on the laptop. 

Then on the desktop, a second copy of elements that will manage the archives on the desktop, and backups made onto CDs.  Thus the laptop is my work area, and the desktop becomes my archive area and backup area.

Any advice for getting it done this way or am I on my own?

this is turning out to be a trickier project than I imagined.  Though some of it due to Elements being a new learning curve for me.

We use Windows Explorer to organize our photos.  There is nothing in any software that is required for that simple task.  Via the network, the photos can be accessed from any computer and arranged in whatever structure is appropriate.  I pull all the photos on my desktop to a \New folder under the My Photos folder and Lorna uses her notebook (or my computer if I'm not using it) to rename and put them into folders named for the subject.  She did use Thumbs+ but it (and Elements and the like) is overkill for just organizing.

Save your money and use the tools that Windows has built in.  The image viewer is more than adequate for viewing photos, and can even do slide shows.

Thanks Ned for your response.

You have described what I used to do.

But now I have Elements and I LOVE it!  It does so much more for me.  I especially like the tagging feature and use it constantly.  It has freed me from overuse of folder structures, though I still use them at a broad level.

I am interested in hearing from anyone keeping photos on multiple computers in a network.

I guess in a sense you have answered my question.  You are using the operating system browser on your network and have it installed on each computer.  So the analogy for me would be to have software (whatever it is) on each computer and not try to use one primary copy to access other pictures on the network on other computers.

Anyone using Elements here?  Do you have photos on multiple computers?  Do you install Elements on each computer, or do you try to manage it all with one copy of Elements on one computer.

I do not know yet if Elements is copy protected.  I suspect it is legally possible to install it on several of my own computers as long as I only use it on one computer at a time, which would be the case.  If it turns out I have to purchase additional copies, then I will, though I don't think that is very fair.  The current copy protection laws are VERY expensive for law abiding people who have multiple computers in a family situation.  I hope some day this changes.  I know the software companies are trying to prevent abuse, but it seems law abiding families are paying the price.

When in doubt, read the license agreement.  Many programs will allow the installation on more than one computer as long as there is no possiblity if more than one copy being used at a time.  Other licenses are per computer.  I don't know what the Adobe policy is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom