30/50 AMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything will atill work, only one at a time.  To run the AC, switch the refer and water heater to gas,  if you run the refer and  WH on electric, leave the AC off.  If you wife wants to use a hair dryer, make sure everything is off.

The short funny answer is when you turn on to much you will know when the breaker trips ;D ;D

To expand a bit on donn's comments, you have less than a third of the power available (30 amps vs. 100 amps), so you have to restrain your usage but, as he said, everything works but it's easier to pop a breaker or blow a fuse if you're not careful.

here we go again. confusing the newbie with the 100 amp BS.

Readdy Kilowatt's rules
Small stuff like Televiosions more or less don't count.

Medium stuff. Microwave, residential fridge.. Two of 'em on 20 amps. perhaps more

Big Stuff Space heaters, air conditioners, water heater (unless modified)
20 amp you might get ONE to work  30 amp you can use one. may be able to use two but not two A/C's (IE A/C and Water heater OR Microwave but not all 3)

50 amp "All you can eat"

NOTE on the converter.. Mine is an "80 amp" which draws enough to be a "BIG" ticket (10-11 amp) item when the batteries are downright hungry.. Batteries well fed it sips less than 100 watts (Small ticket 1 amp)

cavie said:
here we go again. confusing the newbie with the 100 amp BS.
cavie
The 100A provided by a 'so called' 50A shore power hookup is not BS.

As evidenced by the 2 linked 50 amp breakers, a 50 amp split phase 120/240 VAC service will provide 50 amps per leg.... a total of 100 amps combined.

mel s said:
cavie

As evidenced by the 2 linked 50 amp breakers, a 50 amp split phase 120/240 VAC service will provide 50 amps per leg.... a total of 100 amps combined.
:)) :)) :))

FWIW, I've always had 30 amp rigs and I find I can normally run two big-ticket items at a time (AC, Water Heater, Microwave, Hair Dryer). Although as noted already, it might be best to have everything off when using the hair dryer. With the hair dryer on, if the AC is "running" it should be ok but if it "kicks on" then you're pushing it.

mel s said:
cavie

No professional electrician in his lifetime stated that a 50 amp service has 100 amps available.

SeilerBird said:
I have. I was a professional electrician.

I posted this subject on Mike Holts NEC Forum and they laughed.

cavie said:
No professional electrician in his lifetime stated that a 50 amp service has 100 amps available.
Well, let's see, 50 + 50 = 50? Hmmm...
        To me it's 50 + 50 ≠ 50

The problem is with the name "50 amp." So what would you call it that has 50 amps on one leg and 50 amps on a second leg? It's certainly more than 50 amps total. Or is your math different?

cavie said:
I posted this subject on Mike Holts NEC Forum and they laughed.

You explained that there are two 50 amp legs for that service that's called 50 amp? Or are you thinking that it's 240V, rather than the pair of 120V legs? It's not normally used as 240V. Sounds as if your pros don't have the whole picture. Or perhaps you can elucidate, educate us about what it really is.

I am really anxious to find out how come these people on the other forum seem to think that there is not 100 amps available on two 50 amp legs. I can't find the post on Mike Holt's forum.

Well I finally found cavies post on the other forum. They all laughed amounted to one person. Here is his explanation:

My first thought is that because RVs are all 120V loads, they are doing some math to advertise that you can drive 100A worth of 120V devices on your coach, which is basically a big MWBC.

But, yeah, that would drive me nuts, too.

cavie said:

You are correct (or course) and I'd never call it 100 Amp service either.

But salesmen... Well.. Salesman say 50+50=100 so it's 100 amps. only it's not and you and I know it... But salesmen are not often trained in much of anyting other than getting a signature on the line.

Saleman told me I'd have a Ford V-10 with an Allison tranmission.. After delivery (I have a Chevy V8) I called him on it.. he said "I kind of wondered about that too)

Allison trannys do not fit ford gas engined.. GM yes. Cummins diesel Yes. FORD no.

Is not 50A at 240 V equal power compared to 100A at 120V???

50A @ 240v into the camper split to 50A @ 120V  x 2 = 100A @ 120V.

Back
Top Bottom